Spoke to soon!!!

RocknRolla

I had the same issue, every race i did, I'd loose a spoke. Very annoying, I assumed it was uneven tension in the spoking. It was a different spoke each time, so thought it even be corrosion. So I bought new wheels!! Problem solved!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also cannot find any weight restriction on the manufacturers website with regards to this rim. I think Dragon Sports are the agents for Alex why not give them a call and see what they come yup with?

I had the same issue, every race i did, I'd loose a spoke. Very annoying, I assumed it was uneven tension in the spoking. It was a different spoke each time, so thought it even be corrosion. So I bought new wheels!! Problem solved!

Did no one suggest getting the wheel looked at and re-built perhaps? Next time come throw them away at my house. ;)

I did have them re-built and was told i needed a new hub too! Figured something waas telling me to upgrade...

I did have them re-built and was told i needed a new hub too! Figured something waas telling me to upgrade...

Why would you need a new hub? I bet they told you need new brake pads as well.

How excited were you to come up with your thread title :lol:

c'mon, normal formal descriptive thread titles are so bland... :)

i'm just getting frustrated as the bike is only 5 months old. surely i should not be thinking about rebuilding wheels after 5 moths.

I cant help with why spokes are breaking, but if it happens on a regular basis like this, its time for new spokes and a rebuild.

Sounds more like they were telling you things needed to be upgraded instead of fixed :unsure:

c'mon, normal formal descriptive thread titles are so bland... :)

i'm just getting frustrated as the bike is only 5 months old. surely i should not be thinking about rebuilding wheels after 5 moths.

Was just taken the piss ;) Im sure you are annoyed.

I also weigh around 84 and run DT swiss spokes on both my bikes (a 4X and a DH bike... so yeah... hard landings and loads of jumping).

Only time one has broken was when the bike was whipped and landed with the tail properly sideways, causing lateral tension and the weakest spoke gave way. It also broke about mid way... not at the nipple.

So yeah, are your spokes plain gauge or double butted?

In all years back, I learnt my mistakes! It is cheaper to replace all spokes than one by one.

I believe that if you break the spoke twice, replace all the spokes.

If it still break it, replace rim or hub...

I also weigh around 84 and run DT swiss spokes on both my bikes (a 4X and a DH bike... so yeah... hard landings and loads of jumping).

Only time one has broken was when the bike was whipped and landed with the tail properly sideways, causing lateral tension and the weakest spoke gave way. It also broke about mid way... not at the nipple.

So yeah, are your spokes plain gauge or double butted?

theyre black <_<

i have no idea, i suppose plain gage?

theyre black <_<

i have no idea, i suppose plain gage?

haha! mine are black too!

Earlier on you mentioned they're 1.8mm... this leads me to believe that they're the DT Swiss Competition spokes (which are double butted) 2mm-1.8mm. The plain gauge (DT Swiss Champion) are 2mm straight and the upper model, DT Swiss Revolutions are 2mm-1.5mm

Edited by patches

interesting read... :thumbup:

I've got black spokes too! :eek:

if i were you i would be VERY worried!!!!

:D :D

best to get rid of your hubs and rims, and get some other colour ASAP.

:lol: