Spoke to soon!!!

RocknRolla

I have now broken my 3rd spoke on the rear wheel. since December 2010

I am getting frustrated as this to me does not seem normal. Perhaps i am doing something wrong - i have had no major offs (i sometimes cant clip out quickly enuf - but this happens to most i assume :)

xt hubs with dt swiss spokes.

the spokes all break just above the nipple.

it's a PITA to replace because the tyre needs to come off, slime replaced etc... :angry:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not maybe too low spoke count?

is it the same spoke that keeps breaking?

just a few refining questions to narrow down the problem.

not maybe too low spoke count?

is it the same spoke that keeps breaking?

just a few refining questions to narrow down the problem.

dunnow if it's the same spoke.

cant see that it's too low spoke count. I think maybe the spoke gage is not right for me? (1.8)

i like to clear obstacles in the road - IE if there is a washout on the road, i jump it - could it be that sometimes the landings are too hard - and i then end up breaking a spoke? (full sus - normally on lockout)

what i am trying to get at, is that perhaps i need to change my spoke gage on the rear? will this help alleviate the problem?

do i change my riding style, by being more mechanically sympathetic, but not doing unnecessary jumps etc (although it goes against the principle of practicing skills)

Have your chain ever come off between the casette and the spokes? If so, often the spokes get nicked by the chain within a few centimetres from the hub. That weak place then sometimes breaks later. Remember that the drive-side spokes take a lot more strain. Check the spokes behind your casette carefully and replace the ones that look like some clumsy guy took to them with a file. If the breaks happened on the rim side, I cannot help much except to ask about things like jumping and weight.....

My MTB was breaking spokes whilst standing in the sun....black rim with black spokes. I went for a offroad and broke three more, which brought the count to 15 spokes with only one offroad ride done. (12 broke whilst bike was not being ridden) The rims are Weinmann.

Apparently the rim was expanding faster than the spokes could handle when the sun hit it. I was standing next to the bike when it snapped a spoke one morning, I wasn't on it riding. R600 later and both wheels respoked with stainless spokes I have not had another issue. The dude at the LBS told me that the previous spokes were more than adequate to handle my weight, but he has also had experience with black spokes being more prone to breaking

my spoke breaking is not related to the chain coming off.

the spokes are black - as are the rims. this is very strange indeed. but so are my wife's spokes and she has yet to break a spoke in 2 and a bit years.

i'm starting to think it may be related to landing. ("flying is easy - it's the landing part that can be difficult" :whistling: )

i will ride "softer" from now on :)

mebbe later i change my rear spokes to something more staunch

I'm having the same problem with my back wheel. LBS told me it may be that my rims are old and flexing too much and I need new ones? Not sure if I can believe him but my MTB is now 5 years old and done fair milage.

Have your chain ever come off between the casette and the spokes? If so, often the spokes get nicked by the chain within a few centimetres from the hub. That weak place then sometimes breaks later. Remember that the drive-side spokes take a lot more strain. Check the spokes behind your casette carefully and replace the ones that look like some clumsy guy took to them with a file. If the breaks happened on the rim side, I cannot help much except to ask about things like jumping and weight.....

thing is, the spokes always break on the rim side, and not the hub side - it's also a clean break - and not like a bend, and then a break.

You not maybe too heavy for the rim? Check that your rims don't have a weight restriction. :blink:

You not maybe too heavy for the rim? Check that your rims don't have a weight restriction. :blink:

dont think at 84, i am too heavy?? unless ze germans are a lot lighter than me? - do they design bike only for 50kg race snakes?? :blush:

The wheels are just build cr@ppy (by a machine). Have them completely rebuild once and for all.

thing is, the spokes always break on the rim side, and not the hub side - it's also a clean break - and not like a bend, and then a break.

Mine also broke at the rim....also clean breaks every time, right at the nipple :unsure:

I have also had a spoke shear just as it enters the nipple (XT hub with DT Swiss spokes and DT Swiss 420 rims). I think there may be a bit of corrosion weakening the spoke where it is in contact with the nipple.

I had multiple DT Swiss spoke nipples corrode to failure (They eventually crumble and pull out of the rim) on a DT Swiss 455 rim a few weeks ago. Replaced all spokes.

The wheels are just build cr@ppy (by a machine). Have them completely rebuild once and for all.

I think Mampara may be on the right track here, take the wheel in and get it rebuilt