Howick mountain biking map now available

Dan Dob

Hi Hubbers,

I was recently lucky enough to spend 3 separate weeks in the last 3 months in Howick. Thought we'd thank all involved in building the incredible trail network by making a map so that they can show off what they have there.

You can download a PDF version of the map on our website, here. It's not perfect yet but will get worked on as we have more time.

I'm keen to do a Karkloof map soon but need to get hold of Hylton (or Derek) Turvey to see if they want one. Anyone got their contact details?

http://media.withtank.com/b5d5cd9422.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleasure. Just hope it gets more people out onto more of the trails-there are so many!

gr8 stuff u doing. Ph adrenalin cycles howick. I'm sure the owner has Hyltons number.

sure hope we can do one with the Karkloof.

That is awesome. My dad literally lives next to those trails and I hit them every chance I get. Awesome riding. Just a quick question - I see a few purple trails which don't show up on the key. What is a purple trail?

On an aside, I have seen bushbuck, black backed Jackal, caracal, duiker and porcupine on those trails.

Jayz thanks-I found Derek Turveys number.

ScooterZA, the purple trails are ones I'm a bit unsure as to the grading (between red and blue?).As i said v1.0 is a bit sketchy and will be fixed. There are 2 trails that are still missing but I'll add in ASAP-one is a trail named after my sister :)

Nigelhicks, thanks! Harry Millar says 'Howzit!' We were up there the other day but couldn't find time to hook up with you.

Mampara, I'd say its safe to ride alone but wouldn't recommend a woman to ride alone. Adrenaline cycles adn the Howick mtb club have almost daily outrides into the forest and they are great guys to ride with-lots of fun!

OK, have updated the map and it is now current with every single trail available! To all who are going to ride there-Have a blast!

Pleasure. Just hope it gets more people out onto more of the trails-there are so many!

Hi iRide,

Can we just arrive and ride or do we need to sign indemnity forms and pay an entry fee? Are th routes marked and can we download the tracks for a Garmin?

Cheers

so are you willing to pass on the GIS data?. would love to overlay that on some aerial imagery for personal consumption

OK, have updated the map and it is now current with every single trail available! To all who are going to ride there-Have a blast!

Thats awesome well done, your'e the man :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Grebel,

Check out Adrenline cycles or Howick mountain bike club for group ride info.

Otherwise you just arrive, sign the indemnity form at the Hospital (bottom of Curry's post road-opposite the Corner post pub) or one of the cycle shops. You don't even have to pay! The routes have sign names and its pretty easy to get around-just follow your nose for the best experience! I don't have the track for GPS devices I'm afraid but this map should do the trick.

Adrenaline Cycles has organized outrides Tues & Thurs, aswell as Saturday mornings (Howick Forests) and Sundays (Karkloof Forests). Check www.adrenalinecycles.co.za for more info. All rides are weather and race event dependant though.

Adeanaline Cycles now also offering skills training/clinics in Karkloof. 1,2 or 3 day options. Fully guided/supported and structured to individual/group needs. Hoping to extend this to kids skills clinics (Saturday morning to mid afternoon) in the near future.

@Stretch...I got a few of the trails GPS'd so let me know if you want any files. Not sure if I followed the exact routes though lol !

Grebel,

Check out Adrenline cycles or Howick mountain bike club for group ride info.

Otherwise you just arrive, sign the indemnity form at the Hospital (bottom of Curry's post road-opposite the Corner post pub) or one of the cycle shops. You don't even have to pay! The routes have sign names and its pretty easy to get around-just follow your nose for the best experience! I don't have the track for GPS devices I'm afraid but this map should do the trick.

To my knowledge, there is a daily/annual fee payable to ride the Howick trails - this can be attended to at Howick Cycles - this can be confirmed by Ken Pascoe, of the Howick MTB club (0825723297)- this contributes to the upkeep of the trails. The mtb club has a paid staffer, who spends 2 days a week, maintaining the tracks.

Archived