MAGIC SHINE BIKE LIGHT MJ870 and MJ872

An3

Hi All

I have been using a MagicShine MJ808 for a while now. I think it is a very nice little light.

On the Hub I've seen upgrades being advertised such as the MJ-808X and MJ-808E.

On Magiclight's website they refer to their new model as the ML1000.

To add confusion to all these models, CycleLab is advertising two new lights MJ870 and MJ872 with 1200 and 1600 Lumens respectively. Their lights have 4 LEDs.

I need some help please - which of these would be considered "The Ultimate Light"

Has anybody purchased and used the MJ870 and MJ872 from CycleLab?

MJ872

MJ870

post-4407-0-17783200-1305121963.jpg

Nice looking light! I also have the MJ808 and the light from that "900 Lumen" light is awesome. Would love to see these guys in the dark! :o

I've got both the 808x and 870 (got both from CycleLab's online shop).

Did a quick comparison last night.

The 870 on full brightness (has 4 levels) is definitely brighter than the 808. It is also easier to adjust brightness with an up or down option. No more strobe option, which seemed silly anyway. The lighting is also better distributed. The 808 has a defined focal point, whereas the 870 is much more consistent in "spreading" the light. I assume this is due to it having multiple LED's.

Not sure about battery life. Will be testing it out tonight. Apparently battery life is the same. Btw, it is the same battery for both.

Both are excellent lights, with the 870 just being the next step up.

• 2 weeks later...

AdS,nice to see a review on the new lights... As he mentioned, apart from the increased lighting power, the new models have seperate switches to change up or down power settings so you no longer have to switch through all the modes to change from low to high (including switching the light off). The battery life is shorter than the old lights(about 2h30 on full power), but there is now a standard option of the long life battery which increases the capacity by 50%.

Edited by Edge_Design

Cool!!! if it cam out 6 month before it would have been amazing.

The Cree XP-G is about a year old but the more LED's you have that share the load the better. LED's tend to get very inefficient driven at high currents.

Looks like a solid light.

Let me make some assumptions regarding this light output and the other magic shines.

it is clear that the battery are the same therefore the runtimes are a good induction of how much power is used by each light. based on that this should be true

MJ808 650 lumen @ 180min

MJ816 900 Lumen @ 160min

MJ808E 910 lumen @ 170min

MJ870 1100 lumen @ 150min (+-10% Estimation)

MJ872 1500 lumen @ 120min (+-10% Estimation)

Note that this is based on the stated runtime on the site. and that i have adjusted the Mj816 to be closer to the true run time that i have measured before.

Edited by Hannes Zietsman

Used the MJ-808E I got from Hannes this evening at Kyalami race track, it is awesome. It lights up the whole track and my friends don't need lights :) :thumbup: :clap:

It was bloody cold though this evening

Edited by chris_w_65

• 1 month later...