What can you tell me about the Commencal Meta 5.5 (EDIT: or the Specialized Enduro Comp SL)

wesley_r

I'm thinking of getting myself a full-sus rig for trail / "all-mountain" use... something in the 140-160mm travel range for blasting through Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek, etc. I'm a fairly large dude - 6" and 108kg :D I don't really have a massive budget, and was hoping to come in at the 10 / 11k mark max

I've stumbled across a Commencal Meta 5.5 for a decent price - I think it's the 07 model, not sure (it's the same model and colour as in the photo). This one has Avid Juicy 3 brakes (old versions) and what seems to be new X7 rear and front deraillers and shifters. Can't remember what cranks or wheels (DT Swiss X something or EX I dunno). Has a Rock Shox Monarch (I think) rear shock and Tora (yuk) forks

I'll probably put my current wheels (Alex Rims Supra BH) on and look at upgrading the fork to a Rock Shox Sektor or Revelation (budget depending - air if I can afford it) with through axle (which means I'll need a new front hub as well - any suggestions?). If not I might look for a 2nd hand Marzocchi or any other 140mm travel fork I can find.

What do you guys think? Is this the right bike for this type of riding? What else should I be looking at?

EDIT: came across a 2009 Specialized Enduro for a decent price. In fact might even get it for cheaper than what the Commencal + a decent fork will set me back. I am in no rush though, but which would you go for and why?

post-12904-0-70820700-1305451754.jpg

Edited by the_wes

For that budget I will have alook at the trail/AM bikes on obike.co.za.

You will get a brand new(2009)mongoose with similar spec for that price.

For that budget I will have alook at the trail/AM bikes on obike.co.za.

You will get a brand new(2009)mongoose with similar spec for that price.

took a look - Teocali and Khyber both just over 11k plus neither are available in my size. I'd also be happy with a well priced / specced 2nd hand reign, but there don't seem to be any larges going at the mo'

They are very highly rated.

Slightly heavier than the competition, but unbreakable and extremely capable.

Nice slack head angle (depending on the year you looking at around 69deg) - making for nice confidence in single track whilst not wavering too much on technical climbs.

Quote from bikeradar:

"The Meta 5 simply makes any trail a fun place to be. You can’t help but feel confident on it."

The Commencal Meta 5.5.2 is an outstanding trail bike right out of the box. It’s the kind of machine which the pioneers of the sport probably fantasised about while waiting for their runs down Mount Tamalpais on their rigid Klunkers.

Check out some of the reviews here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-commencal-meta-552-09-19714/

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn-full-suspension/commencal-bicycles/meta-5-xx/PRD_413447_1547crx.aspx

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=262200

I can't really see from the pic. Just make sure that this model has the reinforced piece on the top tube where it meets the head tube. My mate just had a 2007 model, it snapped completely (He's 9x Kg's). Got a replacement and the new one had this reinforcement piece which indicates it was a weakness on the previous frame he had.

I have the Meta 5.5.3 '07 and I must say that I love the bike. I've had the bike since '08 and it is a perfect all round bike. I have since upgraded the wheel set and front fork, but the frame has served me very well. I've done long XC events, lite DH and even jumped it and it'a more than capable, just make sure you have the rear suspension properly set up (Commencal call for around 15%-20% SAG). Apparently a bonus of the older Commencals (like the one pictured, I think it's an '08) is that they're a tad stiffer than the new Boomerang rear ends. The bike will coax you into riding downhills uncomfortably fast and will generally make you smile while you're out riding. All the pivot bearings are commercially available and I've had no issues sourcing hangers & bolts from the guys at Absolut Biking.

<edit to add> the only downside is the cable routing down the front of the bike, resulting in cables that are constantly covered in mud, which results in shoddy shifting if left. That said this can easily be fixed by routing continuous housings which was probably the best & cheapest 'upgrade' I've done to my bike.

Edited by Super_mil

UPDATE: came across a 2009 Specialized Enduro for a decent price. In fact might even get it for cheaper than what the Commencal + a decent fork will set me back. I am in no rush though, but which would you go for and why?

I test rode a Commencal 5. something when I was looking for a new frame towards the end of last year. My other options at this stage were the Yeti or the Shova.

The Good Guys at Action Cycles let me play with a demo bike from Commencal and I found the following:

• The top tube is very short, but one adjusts to this very quickly
  • She can be a little sluggish on the climbs
  • The suspension action at the back is exceptional at smoothing out rough trails ... REALLY GOOD
  • This bike has such a playful nature that comes to the fore the moment you enter any form of trail. I found I was looking for any little lip to launch off and it is very easy to flow with this bike on Single Track
  • The flow you get can also get you into trouble quickly as one just goes so much faster than what you would normally go on another bike.

I finally settled on the Shova after testing this bike out. I found the longer top tube to be better suited to me and she climbed a little quicker in my mind.

The Commencal though is a really great bike to ride.

Regards

Hairy

Ok the dude wants R8k for the Commencal. I really don't dig the Tora, and it's a 130mm travel fork anyway so I'm going to change that if I buy it - a Rock Shox Sektor is going to cost me roughly R3.5-R4k, and I'll need to convert the front hub of my existing wheelset (which I'll put on instead of the current wheels) to through-axle (well, don't HAVE to, WANT to) which will set me back another few hundred.

What do you guys think? Worth it? My one concern is the frame is a little banged up - couple of usual cable rubs and nicks in the paint, and some bad chain rub on the rear triangle (right through the paint), but also a small ding on the seat tube by the linkage. Not sure if it's reason for concern...

Edited by the_wes

• 2 weeks later...

the guy's now willing to take 6.5k!!!!

some pics - first one of the ding in the frame, and some other misc paint chips

very tempted

post-12904-0-64612500-1307038155.jpg

post-12904-0-56701800-1307038164.jpg

post-12904-0-81883700-1307038174.jpg

The_Wes, I'm going to *try* to make this short.

There's an Intense for sale here: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/4581-intense-55-evp-medium/

You were originally willing to spend R10-11k.

Here's the thing: I've ridden bikes my entire life. I rode my first MTB race in 1989. I raced DH in the 90s and once beat Greg Minnaar (OK, not relevant, and he was 14 at the time, I was 17). I've ridden all different kinds of bikes, on all different kinds of trails in all different kinds of ways. The first time I saw Shaun Palmer

, I knew right there and then that I wanted to one day own an Intense. Last year, I finally built one up. Without any doubt whatsoever, it's been the best bike I've ever owned. It is @#$%ing amazing. There are only a handful of bikes that can go as fast, as smooth, with as much finesse as a 5.5.

Beg, borrow or steal (and apologise), but try to find a way to spend the extra R5-6k. You won't be sorry, I guarantee.

No, I'm not being paid by Jeff or Quickdraw :)

PS: If you don't believe me, read here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn-full-suspension/intense/5-5-evp/prd_363991_1547crx.aspx

The_Wes, I'm going to *try* to make this short.

There's an Intense for sale here: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/4581-intense-55-evp-medium/

You were originally willing to spend R10-11k.

Here's the thing: I've ridden bikes my entire life. I rode my first MTB race in 1989. I raced DH in the 90s and once beat Greg Minnaar (OK, not relevant, and he was 14 at the time, I was 17). I've ridden all different kinds of bikes, on all different kinds of trails in all different kinds of ways. The first time I saw Shaun Palmer

, I knew right there and then that I wanted to one day own an Intense. Last year, I finally built one up. Without any doubt whatsoever, it's been the best bike I've ever owned. It is @#$%ing amazing. There are only a handful of bikes that can go as fast, as smooth, with as much finesse as a 5.5.

Beg, borrow or steal (and apologise), but try to find a way to spend the extra R5-6k. You won't be sorry, I guarantee.

No, I'm not being paid by Jeff or Quickdraw :)

PS: If you don't believe me, read here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn-full-suspension/intense/5-5-evp/prd_363991_1547crx.aspx

1. i've begged, borrowed and stolen the 11k

2. the intense is a medium - i am a bit big for it

1. i've begged, borrowed and stolen the 11k

2. the intense is a medium - i am a bit big for it

Haha, fair enough!

Intense bikes just make me all emotional, and I get carried away :P

If it helps, the Meta is a great bike - my brother has one, it definitely feels more like a DH bike than the 5.5, which from the sound of it you'd like.

Edited by Martin Hattingh