What can you tell me about the Commencal Meta 5.5 (EDIT: or the Specialized Enduro Comp SL)

wesley_r

I know the feeling :blush:

back to the commie - damage minimal enough not to fuss about, for the price?

I know the feeling :blush:

back to the commie - damage minimal enough not to fuss about, for the price?

It's always difficult to judge from pictures, but I don't think you should be too worried about those. The chips certainly are fine (you're going to chip it anyway), and the dent looks shallow enough to not be an issue. Johan Bornman might be able to give you a better idea of how stressed that area of the frame is, just to be 100% sure.

I had a ding of similar size/depth on the underside of the downtube of a Giant XTC some time back (flying rock hit it) just in front of the BB, with mine the paint was flaked off, but structurally there was nothing wrong with it. So I guess what I'm saying is that dings aren't necessarily a big issue.

Wes: do you know how that ding got there? based on that photo, I'd say the ding is not to bad. in fact, it's almost fortuitously in the vertical direction, which makes me wonder how it got there in the first place.

Wes: do you know how that ding got there? based on that photo, I'd say the ding is not to bad. in fact, it's almost fortuitously in the vertical direction, which makes me wonder how it got there in the first place.

I have no idea, but I am of the suspicion that the frame was knocked over / dropped / put down hard while the shock was out (possibly for a service)

My first thought when I saw it was that it might have been the shock linkage or wheel that hit it on bottom-out. Pure speculation, but worth asking if that's the case.

Tell you what, I'll check my brother's bike on the weekend to get a better idea of what swings where and let you know.

My first thought when I saw it was that it might have been the shock linkage or wheel that hit it on bottom-out. Pure speculation, but worth asking if that's the case.

Tell you what, I'll check my brother's bike on the weekend to get a better idea of what swings where and let you know.

I thought it may be bottom out, so I put as much pressure on the rear as I could and man, it'll take a lot to bottom this thing out. the suspension is very progressive and stiffens a hell of a lot towards the end of the stroke

that's why i'm assuming it happened with the shock out - it's in direct line with the linkage, so no shock and dropping / bumping the frame or putting it down hard woulda put the linkage right against the frame more or less at that point

I thought it may be bottom out, so I put as much pressure on the rear as I could and man, it'll take a lot to bottom this thing out. the suspension is very progressive and stiffens a hell of a lot towards the end of the stroke

that's why i'm assuming it happened with the shock out - it's in direct line with the linkage, so no shock and dropping / bumping the frame or putting it down hard woulda put the linkage right against the frame more or less at that point

Oh OK, I didn't realise you had physical access to the bike yet. Yeah you're right, it's very progressive, but it's also possible that someone could have ridden it with very low pressure in the shock - we used to do that back in the garden in DH days to get a feel for where stuff went far into the stroke. Your suspicion is probably correct though.

There is a 2009 FSR Comp Stumpjumper going for a great price - 8K with the price negotiable, not sure if its exactly what you're looking for but looks a great deal.

I have a commencal meta 4 and enjoy the bike a lot. Its really a great ride and even with 4" travel its very capable on rough terrain.

I wont buy it second hand as a heavy and hard rider though, because i've broken 2 frames since 2008 (which they have replaced at zero cost without asking questions), but it might be risky going second hand, because I think you might lose the warrantee / guarantee in the process

Oh OK, I didn't realise you had physical access to the bike yet. Yeah you're right, it's very progressive, but it's also possible that someone could have ridden it with very low pressure in the shock - we used to do that back in the garden in DH days to get a feel for where stuff went far into the stroke. Your suspicion is probably correct though.

i dinged my first frame in exactly the same place. In my case the pivot triangle broke, so its probably the same reason. I'd ask the owner if that happened.

There is a 2009 FSR Comp Stumpjumper going for a great price - 8K with the price negotiable, not sure if its exactly what you're looking for but looks a great deal.

wrong size, plus it's in gauteng and i'd prefer a 140mm bike... thanks though

wrong size, plus it's in gauteng and i'd prefer a 140mm bike... thanks though

Hey Wes ... sell the car, sell the wife, sell your pets, sell your soul, there is a Shova for sale on the Hub for R16000.00 ... make him a offer :)

Hey Wes ... sell the car, sell the wife, sell your pets, sell your soul, there is a Shova for sale on the Hub for R16000.00 ... make him a offer :)

still the wrong size - i'd have to do all that and shrink a bit at the same time :thumbup: