OR Tambo Baggage Theft

Zula

I have travelled plenty in Africa, Europe, far East and America. Save yourself the trouble, time and effort not to mention the money as you will get no joy in trying to have the thiefs caught/system changed, it will not happen!!

Take the money and rather buy yourself the best hard shell suitecase you can find. I did it and have had zero loss in the last 8 years and yes i have been through ORT plenty on almost all airlines. They have tried to get in but failed every time, can show you the marks around the locks. And forget about padlocks, only get the digit combination claw lock tipe. Once they managed to break one lock but still couldn't get in as there was two on this suitecase, claimed from airline who in turn fixed it and gave me an extra if it would happen again. Have not needed it in 3 years.

Added bonus is that you can use the suitecase as an extra safe in your hotel room. Often the rooms don't have safes or they are too small for your laptop, gifts... so just lock it in the suitecase and the nice cleaning lady won't be tempted.

Added bonus is that you can use the suitecase as an extra safe in your hotel room. ..

sounds like meals on wheels.. :P

but ok, pretty much sold on the hardshell suitcase. guess i got lucky on my trip to euroland. <_<

I only ever put a little padlock on with a cable tie. Soft case. Not sure if they might have opened it anyway but never suffered any losses.

I once had a lady at the check-in counter ask me: "You got any valuables in your check-in luggage? If yes, please take it out and donate it to me. At least you will know what happened to it!"

i normally box my bike and it always comes back with dings and scratches though :angry:

Like they say, looks like I opened a can of worms. Glad Im not the only person having this experience.

So the obvious fixes seem to be a hard case, Ill try that, but hell luggage isn't cheap.

Im still going to have a go at them, just for the fun of it now.