The rider, not the bike

intern

Today was an interesting ride. There was a fundraiser here in Whakatane for a local lass who is racing UCI World Cup XC so along I went. Rocked up with my carbon S-Works full suspension, Garmin 500, S-Works shoes, QUITE THE MAN. Up the hill we went; all but one chap soon left behind.

The bloke who was staying with me is about 45-50-ish, wearing running gear and riding what we used to call a 'school bike'. The hills got steeper, this Kiwi hard man just kept on hooking it...until he rode away from me. He left me for DEAD! Check the photo of me and him in the parking lot afterwards - name's Gary. Good bloke, too, in between coughing up my lungs, managed to have a chat and whatnot. Says he's more of a runner.

Anyway, got schooled proper today! This chap had no gears (10-15% gradient, steepest at 18%), no suspension, those crappy caliper brakes you see on Game bikes, steel 'Raleigh 20' frame from 1985. RESPEK! We averaged 25.2km/h over 35km. With him in front of me just about all the time.

post-1046-0-24832300-1306045890.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Not nice when it happens. It looks as if he modified that bike as it is too small for him.

Edited by Mads

So it looks like it's not a question of 26" or 29"

24" is what gets the job done.

Classic and well spotted!!

:lol: :lol:

Not nice when it happens. It looks as if he modified that bike as it is too small for him.

Heheh, actually it was nice - I was blown away, literally and figuratively, and as a consequence made a new friend. Notice the single downtube where a main triangle should be...I just checked my garmin now now, and we did 732m climbing in that 35km. It wasn't exactly flat...and he had running shoes on. At one stage, owing to the steep gearing on that, uh, bike, and the 18% gradient, he was pushing and running. But he was still ahead of me..

Guest agteros

Glad the message is going it that it is 'not about the bike'. People get carried away with all the marketing hype and pressure! Bikes don't make cyclists faster. Cyclists make bikes faster ;)

And then I'm told to upgrade my Sora & aluminium bike to something newer ohmy.gif It still is a better bike than I'm a rider!

You absolutely said it Agteros. Ride whatever you like, it will make you faster or slower!

All very nice and heart warming but I like to enjoy my rides and there is no ways I am going to enjoy it on that bike . I use to do races on my R600 Game bike at Babaas just to pee-off the other riders but I never enjoyed the ride just the reactions I use to get .

Does your new mate have front teeth? From the pic it looks like , not ? Too many face plants with those caliper-brakes :D ? [deleted Be nice!]

Edited by RodTi

All very nice and heart warming but I like to enjoy my rides and there is no ways I am going to enjoy it on that bike . I use to do races on my R600 Game bike at Babaas just to pee-off the other riders but I never enjoyed the ride just the reactions I use to get .

I am not surprised, shiny black helmet, flowing cape and electrical switches on your chest is not something you see everyday!