Giba Gorge Bike-jacking(On the dirtroad leading into Giba)

Caerus

Its seems these thieveing bastards have made their way to Giba Gorge now, just got this message from their newsletter. This sucks as its part of the route I always ride by myself :(

Rider Mugged of Bike.

After having a cracker few days of riding at the Sani2C, I unfortunately had to return back to hear the bad news of a bike mugging on the dirt road leading out of Giba into Stockville Rd. The rider was riding out of Giba alone on the last steep climb when two guys pushed him off his bike around 9:30am on Saturday. We have spoken with private investigator Brad Nathanson, who is now on the case, as well as our contacts in the community and we will be taking all necessary steps to recover the bike and bring this perpetrator to justice. We urge anyone riding into the park by bike to employ safe riding practises by riding in, in groups. This is a common practise for all mountain bikers no matter where you ride. If possible please save your individual rides for inside the confines of the park. We will keep you informed of any updates.

Please be careful out there

Edited by Caerus

wow, I ride out of Giba that way almost every weekend, and mostly by myself! This is the first time I've heard of something like this at Giba in a few years! *sigh* just can't win.

Flippen hell, is there nowhere you can ride anymore without being taken out by some tools!?!

this sucks! Never heard about anything like this at Giba before. :angry:

wow, I ride out of Giba that way almost every weekend, and mostly by myself! This is the first time I've heard of something like this at Giba in a few years! *sigh* just can't win.

This sucks big time :( No where is safe anymore it seems. They will need more guards out that way then.

There are a lot of locals living out in that area and that road is quite isolated. It was bound to happen at some stage. Need to be out there in groups of 3 or more. If Brad Nathanson is working on it I'm sure they will have caught the guys before the end of the week.

Chap. May i ask why you ride out that way from Giba?

As opposed to the Gaia Sanctuary route?

There are a lot of locals living out in that area and that road is quite isolated. It was bound to happen at some stage. Need to be out there in groups of 3 or more. If Brad Nathanson is working on it I'm sure they will have caught the guys before the end of the week.

Lets hope so, and get them to send a clear message - maybe chop the thieves hands off? The locals will shop them probably

That is bad news :( Hope the victim is ok and that they catch the thieving *#@!'s and make an example of them to deter anyone else contemplating something similar.

Big thumbs up to the management and staff at Giba - I remember they had a spate of bike-jackings a while back, but they did everything in their power to inform riders about the hotspots while also tracking down the perps, setting up security checkpoints, etc. Seems like they're still on the ball!

Which route is this?

Which route is this?

The route out below Winston Park leading to St. Helier. Through the conservation area.

But the Bike Jacking happened on the road that you take from Mahogany Ridge to get into Giba... it never happened inside Giba...

That is a public road that runs between a national highway and an informal settlement...

The darwin award goes to...

The route out below Winston Park leading to St. Helier. Through the conservation area.

Negative ghostrider!!!! ... The jacking occured on the way out on the main dirt access road back towards pinetown past the location. This is the first jacking in a couple of years at Giba but i remember then the last one happened the bike was returned very quickly when the Chief of the location was informed of the incident. The culprit was also "taken care of" by the Chiefs righthand men! (Which didnt bode well for said culprit!!!) It doesnt matter where you ride you always need to be vigilent! I am amazed at Gibas progress with the locals in that area as before the park was going the number of incidents were WAY higher there. Its good to get the local community involved as then they dont take that stuff lightly and as in the previous case took it into their own hands to get the bike back.

Hope the same happens this time as i'm keen to open a new DH track a little closer to the location as the hill and soil is perfect and i dont want any incidents!

But the Bike Jacking happened on the road that you take from Mahogany Ridge to get into Giba... it never happened inside Giba...

That is a public road that runs between a national highway and an informal settlement...

The darwin award goes to...

...Monark ;)

Negative ghostrider!!!! ... The jacking occured on the way out on the main dirt access road back towards pinetown past the location. This is the first jacking in a couple of years at Giba but i remember then the last one happened the bike was returned very quickly when the Chief of the location was informed of the incident. The culprit was also "taken care of" by the Chiefs righthand men! (Which didnt bode well for said culprit!!!) It doesnt matter where you ride you always need to be vigilent! I am amazed at Gibas progress with the locals in that area as before the park was going the number of incidents were WAY higher there. Its good to get the local community involved as then they dont take that stuff lightly and as in the previous case took it into their own hands to get the bike back.

Hope the same happens this time as i'm keen to open a new DH track a little closer to the location as the hill and soil is perfect and i dont want any incidents!

Yep!

Let's just clear up any confusion caused by 1 liners.

The jacking took place on the Main access road into Giba. Between the Mahogany Ridge entrance and the Giba main gate. There are about 3 egress points along this road that lead onto the N3 toll, and into the settlement below Mariannhill. This means the guys can bolt easily.

The road I referred to in my reply to Cearus; ie. out through Gaia, is a safer route based on the fact that it is not a route regularly used as a 'foot path' by local traffic.

Anyone wanting to leave Giba by bike and ride home, even if they live in Kloof, is better off riding out via Gaia, into St Helier and home via Old Main rd Gillitts.

If you live in Ptn, then better to use a car. Mariannhill has got some baddass living thereabouts.

I was doing a circle type ride, from hillcrest down stockville road, through westmead, along the dirt road where the highjacking occured, then riding through Giba and back out through Gaia.

Let's just clear up any confusion caused by 1 liners.

hahahahaah oops - my bad - shows what happens when you skimming replys :blush: :blush:

Didnt take into account that that was a reply to the post above ... My Bad ... damn skim readers ... hahaha ;)