Conti Mountain King UST replacement?

bone

R450 to R349. Save R200, as i also need a Race King UST.

Yeah do the math 349 + 16% import charge on bike parts X 1.14 for vat, .... and delivery fee, just get them from cwc for R450 if you want the MK1's

Edited by covie

Yeah do the math 349 + 16% import charge on bike parts X 1.14 for vat, .... and delivery fee, just get them from cwc for R450 if you want the MK1's

Thats a local price at R349

If anyone in Cape Town is keen, I have two MK UST's that have probably done about 20k's. Never used any sealant in them so they are nice and clean, selling for R200 each.

Thats a local price at R349

Thought you were talking about CRC's price when i hit enter ;), i would still pay the R100 extra for the UST version, the problem with the protection version is it doesnt have a UST bead and i dont trust that they work well for a long time but they will fail evantually and then they normally fail spectacularly,

The only reason i put the MK2 RS versions on, is because they come with less sidewall protection than UST but they have a UST bead, and have been designed to run on UST rims.

Each to his own though.

I tested the X King Protection version for Continental last year and found them to be superior to the Mountain King in all aspects. They are an excellent choice for a front tyre and, depending on your style of riding, good for the back weel too. If you are the kind of rider who likes to have your back wheel break out in corners, rather look at the Race King, though, because the X King will hardly allow you to do that!

With the 2011 Protection version, Conti has used the same bead as on the UST tyre, so the tyres are 100% tubeless-ready. Put the tyre on the rim, fill it up with the recommended dosage of SLUDGE and you have a combination that is much lighter [by about 200g per wheel] than the UST version. Also, the Protection version has VERY good side-walls, strengthened with the use of Aramid and with a higher TPI count than the UST.

A little tip: before you fit the tyre to the rim, wash the inside with a warm, soapy solution to get rid of any build-up left by the manufacturers. That will also take care of the notorious "pin holes" that manufacturers leave in their tyres.

I tested the X King Protection version for Continental last year and found them to be superior to the Mountain King in all aspects. They are an excellent choice for a front tyre and, depending on your style of riding, good for the back weel too. If you are the kind of rider who likes to have your back wheel break out in corners, rather look at the Race King, though, because the X King will hardly allow you to do that!

With the 2011 Protection version, Conti has used the same bead as on the UST tyre, so the tyres are 100% tubeless-ready. Put the tyre on the rim, fill it up with the recommended dosage of SLUDGE and you have a combination that is much lighter [by about 200g per wheel] than the UST version. Also, the Protection version has VERY good side-walls, strengthened with the use of Aramid and with a higher TPI count than the UST.

A little tip: before you fit the tyre to the rim, wash the inside with a warm, soapy solution to get rid of any build-up left by the manufacturers. That will also take care of the notorious "pin holes" that manufacturers leave in their tyres.

Agreed on the X-king vs the old MK,

Though the X-king in front just doesnt come close to the new MK2's fast rolling with more grip than you will even need. I looooooooooooove that tyre :)