Which roadie winter gloves?

chris_w_65

I have a pair of Ryder gloves but I would not recommend then if the temp is less than -7 degrees. But I geuss if you use inners go can use them. I am going this route, its very cold here.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear my normal gloves under my winter glove (which I got from sportsman's warehouse two winters ago) so my hands are warm, and as the day gets warmer I can remove the full glove, yet still have, well, another glove underneath.

I ride in Cape Town at 5;30am in winter and my hands are never a prob. Breathing the cold air sometimes yes. But my hands are toasty

Specialized Sub-Zero gloves are awesome. They come with an ïnner"layer that can be used as a standalone set of gloves, plus an outer shell. Excellent warmth and they don't impair your ability to control the bike.

Can anyone vouch for a pair of gloves that work if you ride at 0 degC (e.g. Gauteng winter) ? So you add on the wind chill factor and they still work.

I rode yesterday morning starting at 5.15 ... I think I came the closest I have yet come to frostbitten fingers.

During last winter I managed to :

- Solve how to keep my head, torso, arms and legs OK.

- Partially solved how to keep my feet warm (jify bag trick cuts air flow through mesh in the shoe & helps keep in the warmth)

- Totally failed at the finger frost bite thing.

And yesterday's ride brought me back to the frostbitten finger state, yowser, I had forgotten how cold your fingers can get.

I have tried two different winter gloves that claim to work but both fail miserably, even with liner gloves inside.

I have considered those hand warmer tabs (seem expensive and no guarantee of a warm finger just because your palm is warm).

Short of carrying a can of deep heat and blasting my hand once an hour, what other ideas ? Surely the Scandanavians or Eskimos must have sorted this out ?!

T.

Edited by Trelawney

I tried out my LG Wind Tex gloves yesterday morning - I thought my fingers were going to drop off. I went and bought some skiing gloves and tried them today and was warm. It is hard to compare though because it was 2 degrees warmer this morning.

I tried out my LG Wind Tex gloves yesterday morning - I thought my fingers were going to drop off. I went and bought some skiing gloves and tried them today and was warm. It is hard to compare though because it was 2 degrees warmer this morning.

How easy is it to operate the gears with the ski gloves ?

How easy is it to operate the gears with the ski gloves ?

It is not bulky, it is actually a glove liner

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-glbl/shop/ski/snow-gloves/windweight

Hands were sweating when I finished my ride - lucky they are machine washable

Even though they are liners they are also designed to be used as is, they have leather on the palms and stuff to help you grip on the first 2 fingers

I don't understand how cycling companies all seem to make gloves that don't keep our hands warm as they are supposed to ? It's not even that cold in SA for the most part.

I bough a pair of Xakt winter gloves and even with liners hands still got cold :thumbdown:

I'm not sure these are best suited for roadies, but I used these in the UK(all year round) and had no problems with them. http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=487&product_id=1571841&outlet They keep your hands warm, are very water resistent & don't make your hands smelly from sweating too much. They lasted me 3 years and only reason they are not used is from a hole when I connected the tar.

Well guys, which are best? Chris, those look like boxing gloves! Good for snowboarding, but biking?

Well guys, which are best? Chris, those look like boxing gloves! Good for snowboarding, but biking?

Are you referring to the DMD motorbike gloves I posted at the start of the thread or the Black Diamond ski gloves?

Are you referring to the DMD motorbike gloves I posted at the start of the thread or the Black Diamond ski gloves?

The Ski Gloves.

Edited by Trelawney

Hey Chris, these are the ones I have, use and love!

Louis Garneau - Wind Tex Eco Flex

Paid around R400 for them and they are very comfy and warm.

Enough space to wear inners if you really want to but I havent yet needed inners.

Then again it is not as cold down here as it is up there where you are :D

:thumbup:

Got me through a couple of Highveld winters now.

The black diamonds