can any road frame be used to build a track bike?

pedalpassion

I want to know if any road frame can be transformed into a track bike??

I don't see why not. Obviously you'll have to change the cranks and the wheel/rear cog combination.

No track frames have horizontal drop outs. To allow for chain tension. Modern road bikes have vertical drop outs. And you cant use a chain tensioner for a track bike as you would a single speed bike.

No track frames have horizontal drop outs. To allow for chain tension. Modern road bikes have vertical drop outs. And you cant use a chain tensioner for a track bike as you would a single speed bike.

wot he said.

going on that other thread on the Hub about track and violence and all that maybe a track bike with no handlebar? Just a spanner like the taxi drivers use.. but a short one so that no one else can grab it unexpectedly. :thumbup:

Ok I've searched for the UCI regulations and found it at the following link (sorry, can't upload, apparently to big): http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NTI0MDY&LangId=1

It doesn't mention anything about the fork drop-outs being horizontal or not. It could be safer, though.

Wikipedia says the following:

Frame design

A track frame is specific to its use. Rigidity is more important than lightness. Frames for sprinting are as rigid as possible, while those for general racing as aerodynamic as possible.

Rules

The governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), sets limits on design and dimensions as well as the shape and diameter of the tubes used to construct the frame.

Geometry

Bicycle frame measurementsA track bicycle differs from one used on the road by having:

- higher bottom bracket so the pedals do not touch a steeply banked track,

- steeper seat tube for a more powerful aerodynamic position,

- steeper head tube for more responsive steering,

- less fork rake.

Typical track frames use 120mm spacing for the rear hub. The dropouts or track ends face rearwards to facilitate chain tension adjustment with very tight clearances in front of the rear tire that would prevent wheel removal with forward-facing dropouts.

• 1 year later...

Ok I've searched for the UCI regulations and found it at the following link (sorry, can't upload, apparently to big): http://www.uci.ch/Mo...TI0MDY&LangId=1

It doesn't mention anything about the fork drop-outs being horizontal or not. It could be safer, though.

Wikipedia says the following:

Frame design

A track frame is specific to its use. Rigidity is more important than lightness. Frames for sprinting are as rigid as possible, while those for general racing as aerodynamic as possible.

Rules

The governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), sets limits on design and dimensions as well as the shape and diameter of the tubes used to construct the frame.

Geometry

Bicycle frame measurementsA track bicycle differs from one used on the road by having:

- higher bottom bracket so the pedals do not touch a steeply banked track,

- steeper seat tube for a more powerful aerodynamic position,

- steeper head tube for more responsive steering,

- less fork rake.

Typical track frames use 120mm spacing for the rear hub. The dropouts or track ends face rearwards to facilitate chain tension adjustment with very tight clearances in front of the rear tire that would prevent wheel removal with forward-facing dropouts.

Andy its about the rear dropouts being horizontal for chain tensioning thats the major hassle.

Look, in theory, you can use any frame to make a track bike.

The drawbacks of converting a road frame will be a lower BB height, slacker angles, a more lenient fork rake, and the aforementioned chain tension issues with the vertical dropouts.

The drawbacks of converting a road frame will be a lower BB height, slacker angles, a more lenient fork rake, and the aforementioned chain tension issues with the vertical dropouts.

Yup, the BB of the road bike is much lower.

On some tracks you might get away with it but using a road bike on a track like the Bellville Velodrome with a 42 degree embankment, you are going to be thrown off quicker than you can say track burn!

It not possible to put tension on the chain of a normal road bike without a chain tensioner, which isn't allowed on a track bike.

That's why track bikes have vertical rear dropouts. Just imagine the mission you would have to go through every time you wanted to change gear ratios on a road frame.

Get a proper track bike for the track and use the hipster fixies for messing about town.

Yup, the BB of the road bike is much lower.

On some tracks you might get away with it but using a road bike on a track like the Bellville Velodrome with a 42 degree embankment, you are going to be thrown off quicker than you can say track burn!

It not possible to put tension on the chain of a normal road bike without a chain tensioner, which isn't allowed on a track bike.

That's why track bikes have vertical rear dropouts. Just imagine the mission you would have to go through every time you wanted to change gear ratios on a road frame.

Get a proper track bike for the track and use the hipster fixies for messing about town.

You probably mean track bikes have HORISONTAL rear dropouts, there in your second last paragraph