Physical Training for DH

grb285

I'm currently cross training with trail running, and circuits & weights at the gym. Besides this, what else can be done? What are you guys doing for training? I'm feeling like I need to be dirt jumping again perhaps.

There's so much that needs to be done to be an excellent performer. I'd love to know what everyone else is doing. Your routines, diet plans etc.

Also, this is with DH/Freeriding in mind, I'm not looking to win stage races or do XC.

I do 3-4 jumping jacks in the morning. If I have spare energy I'll throw in a sit-up or 2.

I work on my arms and calves by carrying and pushing my bike up the hills.

hahaha!

ok, but seriously... you're spot on with the dirt jumping. In my opinion it's a good way to train for DH. careful though... it's addictive and I now find myself dirt jumping more than downhilling,

oh! and recently I took my DH bike to mess around on a buddy's endurocross track. Good rock garden and log practice. Some of the tyre obsticles are a bit too big for bicycles though... maybe not for the trials guys, but for a DH bike they are.

Edited by patches

I do 3-4 jumping jacks in the morning. If I have spare energy I'll throw in a sit-up or 2.

I work on my arms and calves by carrying and pushing my bike up the hills.

:D

If you know how to work on 'the fear surrounding' DH, then you can maybe help out the ninnys on the LAP RACING thread.

If you know how to work on 'the fear surrounding' DH, then you can maybe help out the ninnys on the LAP RACING thread.

hahaha! I think someone should just tell said ninnys to harden the hell up and hit some dirt jumps! lap racing will be a breeze after hitting a few big sets!

I normally keep a printout of this in my wallet for that, haha!

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/e05ddf60574606562061562fec498be1.png

getting into DJ as well.

but training includes, running (trail and road), weights, interval training, (run, bike, swim, tabata). Lots of stretching, trail riding ... bunch of stuff, but finally have a very structured programme I got from Marykes (she on the hub).

Prior to contacting her, it was fairly well structured, and if i compare her programmes to how I did things myself, it's pretty similar in terms of activity, except for the rests inbetween :P

I do tons of XC riding for fitness, then try do some trail runs (have been slack lately). Then just get out on the DH bike and go play around lots too! But i'd say 90% of my fitness comes from XC.

Dirt jumping helps alot when it comes to jumping and for more technical things. But more important is focus and mental preps.

I do some XC, trail running, sprinting, kickboxing 3-4 times in a week, gym 3 times a week. Then just for fun take my DH bike for a spin when ever and where ever.

So far I have been doing more kickboxing than riding due to work and other commitments and it really works your whole body, mind and spirit. So next time you hit a tree with style :D

So next time you hit a tree with style :D

u must show us this new technique of attack_by_collarbone ;)

howzit FO: where u been of late? all healed up yet?

Being new to DH I have been testing a whole bunch of different ways of training to get the best results to catch up to the guys who have been on the hills since before they could walk.

Between weight training, plyometrics, rowing, spin bikes and XC training I seem to be finding something thats working.

Also do some jump biking, DH training and Motocross riding, but lately can only do one of those per weekend with varsity studying.

Being a personal trainer doesnt hurt when it comes to writing programmes for myself I suppose.

http://benandcindle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/hand-point-up-2.jpg

Listen to this man [Mr Frerichs]... he knows what he's talking about

Nice one on the win at Gilooly's BTW!

http://nsrmtb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/MG_8718.jpg

Thanks alot Patches! :) Really enjoyed that race.

Starting to get comfortable, but definately need to do some more dirt jumping like you have suggested. Its skills training, and fun! :thumbup: Maybe the DHL jumps sometime soon.

u must show us this new technique of attack_by_collarbone ;)

howzit FO: where u been of late? all healed up yet?

Wazzzup bra!

Yeah ive been MIA for a while.

Working hectic at the moment and to make matters worse, some of us went riding on my bday when I crashed hard on the Wallride.

Broke my hand badly....apparently I looked like a frog diving into an empty dam!! But it was such a kickass Wallride :D

So im out for a few months...damn. But not all is doom and gloom.

I am currently looking for new venues to build a new DH track. Just cant sit still.

With an injury, it is difficult to stay fit.

So hows your riding been? I saw you got a lovely Intense :drool: