Trek Fuel EX6 vs. Giant Trance X3

Beer4Recovery

I must agree that the Trance is an awesome bike! I rode one before moving onto my AnthemX.

5 inches of travel and a tried and tested frame.

At the end of the day, sit on and RIDE both bikes... whichever one has the better geometry for your build (body type) will be the one that you just feel right on...

For me, the Giant is the better option.

I just got my first dually... A 2010 Trance X3

I am amazed at how comfortable and stable I feel on the bike.

Only drawbacks I could say is the lack of propedal setting on the rear shock

Check crank heights, I have found them to be a bit lower than what I was used to, but I was riding a merida entry level hard tail that was way too big for me...

no experience with the Trek

In addition to the way it handles downhills... I find the stock standard bike to be very very light for the price.

I chose between a new merida 120-1000d and this used Giant. I am totally sold on the Giant

Edited by lloydkayak

I just got my first dually... A 2010 Trance X3

I am amazed at how comfortable and stable I feel on the bike.

Only drawbacks I could say is the lack of propedal setting on the rear shock

Check crank heights, I have found them to be a bit lower than what I was used to, but I was riding a merida entry level hard tail that was way too big for me...

no experience with the Trek

In addition to the way it handles downhills... I find the stock standard bike to be very very light for the price.

I chose between a new merida 120-1000d and this used Giant. I am totally sold on the Giant

Great choice, you won't be sorry.

"how comfortable I feel on the bike" - Stability/balance/comfort is the trance's most important attribute, really one of the best all-rounders of the Mtb world.

"to be a bit lower than..." - That stability is achieved partly with a lower centre of gravity, hence the lower bottom bracket. You'll quickly learn not to hit your pedals on rocks by positioning them correctly in turns or rough stuff.

"The way it handles the downhills" is where the Trance kills most other 5inch trailbikes, but be careful to also improve your skill level to keep up with what this bike can do. Learn to lower your saddle on really steep rough downhill and it will make it even more versatile.

"lack of propedal setting" is easily sorted by getting a new shock with that feature if you want to kick it climbing like you used to on a hardtail. First experiment with shock air pressure/rebound so that you get the best possible climbing and decending and learn to climb sitting/steady. I know several Trance riders that never bother to use their lock outs.

(No apologies for being a Trance junkie.)