Cyclist critical - Bottelary Weg Cape Town Taxi involved

Big H*

lucky luke, by your professional estimation in these matters, what constitutes enough time on the road and with what mode of transport?

Rhetorical questions aside, please don't presume my experiences on the road.

The point of my Opinion is that there are always two sides to the story, and even here on thehub, i've often read how more considerate taxis are than other road users, and that sometimes, wonder of wonders, road cyclists do seriously stupid things.

Mate I wasn't dissing you, the press report quoted the ER guy on the scene as stating "the taxi overtook him and stopped a few metres away from him." Seen it many many times, from taxis and other road users. Sometimes cyclists are stupid and ride into parked cars, but it doesn't sound like that happened in this case.

What gets to me is that we have a thread on a cycling website where the ER guy plainly states a taxi was at fault, and cyclists come on the thread and give support to the driver in a situation where it's pretty clear what happened. And tomorrow I might go for a ride and the same thing happens to me for the umpteenth time. **** that. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Yup these taxi dirver idiots have the abbility to stop dead in their tracks as soon as they see someone lift a finger next to the road.

I have been clipped by a taxi cutting me off to pull over and I clipped a taxi trying swerwe past it casue the dumb fork thought it good to stop dead in the middle of the road.

Yes they can.

I stopped to help a lady cyclist a few years back,when one of the big Sunday morning groups had left her.

I was Lucky and the PE westerly was blowing nice and hard.I was doing 65km/h chasing the bunch.I was riding on the right side of the yellow line.

A taxi came past me at around the same speed and came to a dead stop about 2 meters from me.

My hands were still on the hoods when i hit the back.It happens so fast there is nothing you can do.

I was very lucky and the taxi window had a crack in it so the impact wasn't to hard,just all the glass cut my face and ear,my leg wasn't as lucky as it hit the body.

In court the driver said he saw me but didn't think a bicycle could go as fast as a car.

Was he found guilty and how much was his fine?

Was he found guilty and how much was his fine?

R3000 or 30 days....he only ended up sitting for 10 days.He died of TB before my court date for MVA claim.

even a taxi cant come to a deadstop in a matter of centimeters, so I'm tending to ask what the cyclist was doing. thick fog/mist with taxi lights not on/working, that I'll buy. But slamming into a stationary car, especially a taxi which is RENOWNED for stopping ANYWHERE.. i dunno man.

wasnt there a similar case a while back up north, except the riders was going downhill at a pretty clip and couldnt stop in time..

Always 3 4 sides to the story and the media will only take the one is going to come up with their own one thats going to sell news.

R3000 or 30 days....he only ended up sitting for 10 days.He died of TB before my court date for MVA claim.

Did the MVA claim go ahead in his absentia?

@gummibear - sorry to hear about that.

Every story has 3 sides, yours, mine and the correct one :P. Wish people would get off their high horses - who cares WHAT the situation was, the cyclist crashed. And THAT is what happened. Do you HAVE to debate about what he was looking at or nonsense like that - does it MATTER? Geezzz, wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully some glasses or extra brain cells for the taxi driver. :)

Karma will not help, pray for him!

I am praying for him, praying that he dies a very painful death and go to the warmest place in hell.

As an aside...I read somewhere that conviction/sentencing was passed on the hit & run incident that happened a while ago on Ou Kaapse weg.....

any correct info on that one? I'm too lazy to Google ...

I want the Hub version...always more exiting!!! :clap:

As an aside...I read somewhere that conviction/sentencing was passed on the hit & run incident that happened a while ago on Ou Kaapse weg.....

any correct info on that one? I'm too lazy to Google ...

I want the Hub version...always more exiting!!! :clap:

not so exciting for the cyclist who lost a leg - suspect was acquitted after an incompetent investigation by the SAPs. https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/65479-hit-and-run-ou-kaapse-weg/page__st__40