All-mountain Biking Basics

Capricorn

i noted both you and MH mentioning off camber turns while ass near seat. I'm not sure that when you really lean your bike over, your butt's anywhere near that seat. That's where the trust in those side knobs comes, that they will bloodywell grip as expected.

Grave's photo depicts perfectly what I'm referring to. navel toward the inside, knee into that frame, ass off base..

I was thinking something along these lines:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FfzX4c-Ke2A/TGL_ZC_-YZI/AAAAAAAAAcE/PJSeZwFQKYI/s1600/Tomac-Picture-hi.jpg

Then again, I'm old-school, and I ride with a relatively high seat even on technical stuff :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then again, I'm old-school, and I ride with a relatively high seat even on technical stuff :)

was just about to ask... but sweet. have much respect for those that rip with high saddles.

looks like the vid was deleted off the web? cant find it anywhere, was gonna try finish watch it today

This one sums it up: off camber technique IN a berm = berm crushed!

post-6789-0-22267900-1310752881.jpg

Sorry MH - but i disagree with the seated in corners thing ... cus as you said they often bumpy and you cant lean in as much ... Caps pic shows how to corner, outside foot weighted, and laying it down! Textbook! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bummer - the video is gone - probably copyrighted and interneted illegally.

I managed to watch about 15 mins of it - the cornering advice was brilliant - lean the bike and keep yourself upright - tried it on some high speed dirt road bends this weekend and even on easy corners the dirfference is noticeable - just feels a little counter intuitive to start with...

hmm, thank goodness I saved a copy. I'll see if I can upload it somewhere else. It's a must-have vid.

hmm, thank goodness I saved a copy. I'll see if I can upload it somewhere else. It's a must-have vid.

definitely a must have, let us know when and where cap

definitely a must have, let us know when and where cap

+1

I also only managed to watch the first but, saved a favourite for later but alas...

Cap, are you recovered from your flu yet? Was an awesome ride yesterday, except for DJR coming off and breaking his collarbone at the top of boulders - reminded us all of the importance of riding in groups!

omw, busted collarbone! :unsure: ag nee DJR. Healing vibes man!

Flu is a total bugger. I hit up the DS track yesterday, but it was tough going. felt abit **** for not being able to give DHK a proper run, but i guess that's how it goes. I think i might ahve a secondary chest infection cos I'm feeling really warm/cold, typically feverish. Might just be due to all the gunk clogging up my breathing apparatus :P

I'll give the decongestion stuff a bit longer to work, before reaching for the antibios.

btw MH: y'all gonna pitch for the DS comp on 30 Jul?

omw, busted collarbone! :unsure: ag nee DJR. Healing vibes man!

Flu is a total bugger. I hit up the DS track yesterday, but it was tough going. felt abit **** for not being able to give DHK a proper run, but i guess that's how it goes. I think i might ahve a secondary chest infection cos I'm feeling really warm/cold, typically feverish. Might just be due to all the gunk clogging up my breathing apparatus :P

I'll give the decongestion stuff a bit longer to work, before reaching for the antibios.

btw MH: y'all gonna pitch for the DS comp on 30 Jul?

Eish, hope you get it out of your system quickly!

I feel for DJR, hope he doesn't take *too* long to recover... Luckily Pain or Shine was up there in a flash in his med-evac rally car! Funny enough, I remained brave on the way down despite my fellow rider's misfortune, launched every kicker I could ;)

DS comp? What DS comp?

Sorry MH - but i disagree with the seated in corners thing ... cus as you said they often bumpy and you cant lean in as much ... Caps pic shows how to corner, outside foot weighted, and laying it down! Textbook! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hmmm, I reckon it depends completely on the corner. On a smooth surface, there's no substitute for the stability that sitting down gives you, but I agree that on a gnarly bend things are obviously quite different. Either way, it comes down to what you're used to and what works for you - no substitute for being comfortable with what you're doing :thumbup:

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Also assuming feet not clipped ...

I tried some of those 'putting the bike down into the corner' type moves on Sat on sandy hardpack busveld, gave me more confidence is higher speed cornering.

Now how does this compare with other techniques discussed here such as putting your weight forward?

Please does anyone know the title of that vid? going to try source it legit.