Safe Friday afternoon Ride

Is there anywhere (the nearer to Fourways the better) the one can go to for a safe 30 odd k MTB ride on a Friday afternoon? Obviously the Cycle park is there, but doing 30k's on the green tracks...

I would also like to know!

I guess it should be pretty safe as long as you stay away from the R511 as it heads into Diepsloot.

30kms? hmmm.

What is your starting point?

30kms should be achievable if you ride up the spruit from Bryanston to Mark's Park, then back. I personally have never had an incident on the spruit... so I would consider it safe. Especlially the upper part from Fratelli's to the Botanical Gardens.

Edited by patches

I would also say the Spruit. I hop onto the spruit at the bottom of Cowley Drive and go all the way to William Nicol and back. That's about 30km if you start at Pineslopes.

30kms should be achievable if you ride up the spruit from Bryanston to Mark's Park, then back. I personally have never had an incident on the spruit... so I would consider it safe. Especlially the upper part from Fratelli's to the Botanical Gardens.

definitely, also ride a lot from Fratellis up around Emmerentia and back, never heard of / had any incidents....

You can also add in Alberts Farm to your route, but I wouldn't ride up there alone, go in a group there seems to be quite a few dodgy characters in that park.

Soz okes, please exuse my ignorance as I just moved to Lonehill.

Starting at Pineslopes, how do I get to the Spruit?

Pineslopes? Am I missing something?

That is far away from the Spruit.

Maybe Cambridge Crossing would be more appropriate. Cross of the highway on Cambridge Rd, then turn left into Cowley, and then right onto the Spruit.

Pineslopes? Am I missing something?

That is far away from the Spruit.

Maybe Cambridge Crossing would be more appropriate. Cross of the highway on Cambridge Rd, then turn left into Cowley, and then right onto the Spruit.

Some of uslive in the Lonehill, Fourways or Paulshof areas and would like to ride to the spruit...Pineslopes is a nice landmark to start from

Shot! Thanks!

By the way, the stretch on Witkoppen from Porsche to the bridge over the N1 has a nice dirt track running parallel to the road - use that instead of the tar!

Some of uslive in the Lonehill, Fourways or Paulshof areas and would like to ride to the spruit...Pineslopes is a nice landmark to start from

I also live in Fourways, but have always started Spruit rides from Cambridge Crossing. That way, you get to spend more time on the Sruit, and less time on the pavement next to Witkoppen Rd.

That said, the traffic from Cambridge Crossing to home is a disaster late in the afternoon...maybe Pineslopes is not such a bad idea.

hope to give the Spruit a bash on either Sat or Sun depending on if I can flog the bug I have. Picking up my new steed tomorrow, cant wait!