Training Group

Garfield2010

Guest agteros

Will you be wearing compression socks? ;)

sunglasses?

peak?

race number belt with hub name?

Will you have one of those little pouches on your Top Tube?

I wont, as it'll ruin the look of my book.

Cool everyone. I got 2 other guys also joining us but they are real newbies. The one guy just got a bike.

Lets say we leave at 07h00 and we meet up at 06h45 at Markspark's entrance in Judith road on Saturday morning.

Edman could maybe have us do 2 loops of 25km so that the guys who only want to do one lap can do so (normally there is a few mechanicals as well on first rides like these)

We can then maybe also split up in a fster and slower group on lap 2 should people feel strong....

Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

What is IM 5150?

See this 5150 url, surprised you have not heard of it. But then again if you do races like Capetown Challenge maybe this is like a training ride for you ;)

Oh that one yes I did see it about a month ago. Unfortunately the entry fee alone is something like R700. Then you have to drive there and stay overnight and unfortunately I cannot afford to do that.

The whole trip will cost you close to +-R3.000 if the wife also tags along.......

Crazy!!!

Agree entry fee very expensive. Hopefully that will keep the lineup small and I wont get drowned. The race is late in the day so I'm heading out to warm baths early morning with my kid and ouma and then driving back afterwards. Wife has to work so no major expenses :rolleyes:

What about the entry fee for the Capetown challenge that including flights accomodation etc is really gonna set you back a lot more than R3000

I will see how this weeks training works out and join you guys on Saturday morning. Going to do 8k time trial tonight at RAC should be fun.

True, Cape Town was R2,700 entry fee and then about R2,500 for the plane tickets for 2 people so yes the weekend will cost R6,000..

But thats for 15 hours racing and a week in the Cape (my family lives in Cape Town) which will include numerous wine tasting events from my wheel chair the week after.... Oh and I will also attend the 1st day of the SA/Auz cricket test match at Newlands the Tuesday.....

Edman could maybe have us do 2 loops of 25km so that the guys who only want to do one lap can do so (normally there is a few mechanicals as well on first rides like these)

There're two pretty good options. The first is a 23km loop that goes out along Beyers Naude, onto Jim Fouche and back via Hendrik Potgieter. The second is a 10km loop through the suburbs around the dam.

The short route is pretty good because there's little traffic and there's only one traffic light and a couple of stop streets. If you get the timing right, it's possible to get 30-40km without really having to stop. It also makes it easier for people to do laps at their own pace after the first. The downside is that it can get a bit tedious around the 3rd or 4th lap.

The long route has more traffic as the morning progresses (and traffic lights), but more variety. The climb up Hendrik Potgieter may not be to everyone's liking.

Here're the route maps and profiles:

Short route - starts a block away from Marks Park:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43179936/

Long route - starts 2km from Marks Park:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43181114/

Cool

Maybe the short route would be best for our purposes considering the circumstances etc. Then we can do one lekker rustige warmup loop and from then on the guys can go at their own speed. Then also if people ar late they can just wait for us to finish lap 1 instead of us having to wait for them.

Ok guys the ride is on. See you on Saturday at 06h45 at Marks Park's entrance in Judith Road. We start at 07h00.

hi guys,

i've just moved up from durbs, living in melville now, and would like to join in if you have room for one more.

will this ride & run become a regular session?

any suggestions on where to get cold weather gear?

i'll only start after i get some...i'm still a soft durbanite.

thanks,

santosh

ps. which clubs are in the area?

hi guys,

i've just moved up from durbs, living in melville now, and would like to join in if you have room for one more.

will this ride & run become a regular session?

any suggestions on where to get cold weather gear?

i'll only start after i get some...i'm still a soft durbanite.

thanks,

santosh

ps. which clubs are in the area?

Try Sportman's Warehouse for some Underarmour Coldgear leggings and tops. I've found that, as a general rule, it's better to get cold weather gear that's been imported. Our local guys don't seem to know how to design for the cold.

I usually ride in the area on Saturdays, though I'm away this weekend.

For clubs, you can try www.crestawheelers.co.za