How much do you eat/drink in a mtb marathon event?

bradwentzel

Okay, stupid question of the day... :rolleyes:

Also want to try Perpetuem - just want to get a sachet to test first. It seems to be in a league of it's own for marathon-type events. But how do you guys use it? Do do you chuck it in a 750 bottle and use as a drink or do you go the "thick"/concentrated option with a small flask? (And presumably then use a normal carb drink with it in your bottle?)

Other drinks under consideration is Marathon from Cadence Nutrition and USN's BCAA Vitargo, which I used last winter with good effect on consecutive hard training rides.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also want to try Perpetuem - just want to get a sachet to test first. It seems to be in a league of it's own for marathon-type events. But how do you guys use it? Do do you chuck it in a 750 bottle and use as a drink or do you go the "thick"/concentrated option with a small flask? (And presumably then use a normal carb drink with it in your bottle?)

Other drinks under consideration is Marathon from Cadence Nutrition and USN's BCAA Vitargo, which I used last winter with good effect on consecutive hard training rides.

I chuck mine in my camelbak, only thing is, you HAVE to wash your bladder after riding becuase of the proteins in perpetuem. Use it as a drink throughout your ride, I find that smaller sips more frequently works better than big gulps after long streches. I like the unflavoured flavour :blink: doesnt leave that "jannie verjaar koeldrank" taste in your mouth...

Cant comment on USN's products, dont know them at all

Don't forget to have your coffee and go to the toilet before the race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The nice thing about Perpetum is you can mix one bottle for up to 4 hours. Because it's not sweet, it drinks easily even if concentrated. I usually mix one bottle for the number of required hours and take an extra bottle or two of water, depending on how hot it is. Wash a sip of Perpetum down with water and I'm good.

32Gi is pretty good. Only problem with all the flavoured drinks is I get sick of the taste. I switched to Enduren, because it tastes faintly like sugar water, that's all. Pepto Pro is also worth considering for marathon distances. Only problem is it tastes like crap on its own and this is where you need the flavoured powder.Great for recovery too. Enduren and Pepto Pro mixed with 32Gi got me through the Epic, no problem.

I chow an item an hour like someone said above but I think Dick hits the nail on the head regarding running out of steam at 40 KM's below.

It all comes down to training and fitness, well maybe a bit of fueling but not much.

No matter what you eat/drink, if your body is not used to the distance/intensity/time you will hit the wall. Why because you think you can in that time, but really you cant.

Okay, so consensus on Perpetuem is using it like an energy drink (mixed in bottle/camelback).

32GI I use in training, but when I go hard, it does not work for me. Spoken to Mark a couple of times already, maybe due to something in my eating habits. But it simply does not carry me through harder sessions - I get hungry like hell about 1.5-2 hours in. That's why I'm about to try Perpetuem.

I cannot stand the taste of PeptoPro. Have tried, but... yuuuuck! :eek: Friend of mine swears by it... good for him! I claim I still have taste buds... :whistling:

I had the same problem, I then started importing steak from a butcher in Spain who is well known in the road cycling circles. great stuff I must admit. I have a steak roll on low GI bread with some peanut butter souce before the race and then just put some steak slices in a Ziploc bag and nibble on them during the race.

oh yes, almost forgot, I have a mate who lives in the America states of United and he sent me some energy gel/ carb loader stuff that is apparently very popular amongst pro cyclist, it is even rumored to have been used by a certain 7 time tdf winner. The only thing is you have to administer it through a "drip" type bag that feeds directly into your vein, I don’t really like needles so have only used it a few times but seems to work great.

But on more humorous side:

I was having the same issues, and was advised by a guy who does IM to eat early to avoid the bonk. I was also bonking around 40-45km in and would normally start my eating around then as well. I then started eating at about 25km in and kept having small amounts the entire ride. (use those mcnabs energy bars)

Another thing I realized was that my training rides averaged 45km and would only throw in a longer ride once or twice a month. I then started including a 5+ hour ride once a week and felt a massive difference at marathons.