Kings Kloof .... my 2c

L.T.G

write mate and i rode there on our SS.

mine 26" ali and RED Schwinn gearing 32:20

his Niner EMD rootbeer gearing 32:18

we had an awesome time and only had to push once. (that little section when you leave just after the crossroads on you way back to the "gateway". you know the one) had a really really fun time. felt like a kid on my BMX again. worked really hard but my average HR was 154. distance 23.5km total ascent 763m. awesome day out.

on a sad note when we where leaving there was a ambulance there. some guy had had a heart attack up in the mountains. have heard that he is a friend of friend and is in ICU. my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. hope he is ok.

look i dont know what the underlying conditions were but people must realize that King's is not an easy course. there are know flat sections you are either climbing hard or on fast technical descents. this should be made clear to anyone that wants to ride there. its like Teak on steroids.

to make matters worse there was a muppet flying around Kings with NO HELMET on yesterday. (if the brain is no smart enough to protect the skull its inside then it doesnt deserve the worry) actually thought the ambulance was for him when we were leaving. come on guys lets be a little more careful than that.

will be riding breedts tomorrow.

SSing again leaving the hekpoort BP at 7:30

pic at the "Gateway" to Kings

post-16067-0-08727300-1312785567.jpg

you're right!

but nowhere close to as much as trying to keep up with you on your SS! blink.gif

I'm seriously considering converting my old hardtail to an SS! unsure.gif

do it do it, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: you'll never regret it.

i built my SS to avoid putting training mile on my expensive 2x10 XO groupset and now i have not ridden my "race"(carbon Spez stumpjumper HT) bike in 3 months, just having way too much fun on my SS so now even race it. so selling the spez to build a 29er SS.

Rode at KK for the first time on the weekend. The route is very good, challenging up and downhills, awesome technical sections, but FUN the whole way with awesome views and great single track. Dont be fooled by the distance, its a tough 20 odd km's.

I can see myself spending a lot more time at Kings. Oh, and I didnt see another rider on the trail the whole time I was there.

Edited by Rob7X

Hows the veld there now? scorched earth?

Na, not so bad. Some sections we shortish and some were long. Didnt look close to the moonscape at teak place.

• 2 weeks later...

With Teak no more, I went to KingsKloof today....

This place is not made for anyone wanting to know if MTB is there thing or not.

Not sure what the total route distance should be as we got a little lost at the very end but finished on about 25km doing the black route.

The place has lots... no LOTS & LOTS of climbing and some downhills that will make the average rider cry!!

The route was great, I think I spent most of the time with a hear rate between 170 ~ 182.

R30 well spent!

Kings have a place for familys to wait :) like teak had ?

No....absolutely nothing. The bare minimum and then less! Not a bad black loop tho. Nice and technical but too short and then i get bored and dont wanna go round again. Its okish but cant say ill go back in a hurry.

Eish.. I guess i need a lot of training if you found the black loop to short. It might be short but it is explosive :P

I am going back on Saturday.