Do you MTB? Please share your thoughts on Night Riding.

Tim Cockerill

Hi all my fellow MTB.

Do you Night Ride?

If you answered "Yes" or "No" I'd like to hear your thoughts.

It doesn't matter if you've been riding for 6 months or 6 years I'd like to hear why you participate, or don't.

I am a Btech Industrial Design student at CPUT, and I am investigating what factors prevent people from participating in Off-Road Night Cycling. My preliminary research has identified a couple areas of concern, which I'm hoping you'll confirm. If you've got 5 - 10 minutes please complete the attached Survey and mail it to me at Email me

Please rename the file (Your Name)- Night Riding Survey 1.5.doc

Thank you for your assistance.

Safe Riding.

Night Riding Survey 1.5.doc

Edited by Tim Cockerill

Fast reply would be the "lack of funds" in my bank account to buy a proper MagicLight (mtb light) for night riding sad.gif

http://www.magiclight.co.za/products/bike-lights/mj816

They are round about R1400 - R1600

Nick, If the warranty and backup service isn't an issue go look at Deal Extreme (See link below)

MJ 816

I landed an MJ808 for under R600. I have been using it for a few months now and no problem.

night ride at least 3 times a week,weather depending,I have found it improved my riding skills as it makes you focus on where your light and ride there.At first it may seem as though you have less balance,but its waaay more exciting!

night ride at least 3 times a week,weather depending,I have found it improved my riding skills as it makes you focus on where your light and ride there.At first it may seem as though you have less balance,but its waaay more exciting!

Where do you ride?

giba,seem many animals,and once you know the track you can pick new lines that you dont see in the day.

mainly ride on my own,thou there is a couple of us sometimes,no set plan,we tend to trail ride more and can be very slow,depending on the mood,I use night riding more as a way to unwind from a working day.

I have been toying with the idea of night riding for a while now. Just need to find time to get away from the daily routine stuff. I like the very slow trail riding part. Sounds like my type of ride...! :thumbup:

does riding at 3h30am count as 'night riding' ??

Oh yes! If there's no sun in the sky and you're forced to use an alternative light source you're night riding!

If you haven't done so already, please fill in my Survey.

For all who have done so, a BIG THANK YOU! Please try get some of your mates to do the same.

Thanks Guys. Your input is invaluable.

Fast reply would be the "lack of funds" in my bank account to buy a proper MagicLight (mtb light) for night riding sad.gif

http://www.magiclight.co.za/products/bike-lights/mj816

They are round about R1400 - R1600

my first few nightrides was with a petzl headlamp, and then for 2 years a cateye form the bikeshop (around 400) was my main lamp - now that i have a proper one, traffic kind of cut me off.