Buying a helmet

Kerneels

Hi, I'm a roadie in desperate need for a new helmet.

But what should I buy. I don't have millions to spend

but as it is something that should keep me safe I do not

want to buy trash.

What's hot and what's not?

Search for ASG's contact details on thehub, they do some nice Rudy Projects at good prices.

Bell for me ~ looks good, comfy, I'm confident it will protect the old pip if necessary.

Save cash somewhere else, one small head injury will cost much more than a good helmet.

Go and try a few ones on, and don't skimp! It becomes very important when you actually need to use it.

Some mtb helmets offer nice all round protection (like the fox Flux), so if ripping it up is your thing and you want to take on some gnarly stuff on the trail without going full-face and body armour, look at this one.

I ride with a Bell Sweep XC helmet (same as the normal road Sweep, but with detachable visor). Its time to replace this one as she's served me well over the last 2 years. Bell offers a replacement deal where you get discount when you return a damaged Bell helmet. If anyone have experience on Bell's replacement strategy, please comment, otherwise I will try and share my experience in the next month or so.

I may be wrong, but suspect it's just a crash replacement.

Kerneel, bugger looks, wow factor and advertising. Fit them on and see what goes well. E.g. a lot of guys love Spez helmets, it "catches" the top of my head and I simply cannot wear them.

Go and try them all on first before you decide which one to buy. As far as how much to spend goes, how much is your head worth?

I ride with a Bell Sweep XC helmet (same as the normal road Sweep, but with detachable visor). Its time to replace this one as she's served me well over the last 2 years. Bell offers a replacement deal where you get discount when you return a damaged Bell helmet. If anyone have experience on Bell's replacement strategy, please comment, otherwise I will try and share my experience in the next month or so.

As far as I know, it's only for crash replacements and it's only valid for locally purchased helmets within three years of the original purchase date.

I did a crash replacement about 3 years ago. You take the old, broken helmet to a Bell dealer, along with proof of purchase. They give you a form to fill out where you give a description of the crash and they sell you a replacement helmet at 30% of the price of a new one. The old helmet then gets sent back to Bell.

As far as I know, it's only for crash replacements and it's only valid for locally purchased helmets within three years of the original purchase date.

I did a crash replacement about 3 years ago. You take the old, broken helmet to a Bell dealer, along with proof of purchase. They give you a form to fill out where you give a description of the crash and they sell you a replacement helmet at 30% of the price of a new one. The old helmet then gets sent back to Bell.

That's correct...I pranged my Giro Pneumo and it was replaced for 30% of cost not retail

RUDY PROJECT helmets have a CRASH REPLACEMENT policy where you can replace your crashed helmet at 65% off Retail.

Are you aware of the ZUMA DEAL?

Email Lizle at lizle@asgworld.co.za for more info!

This is an excellent deal

I needed the glasses and my daughter needed the helmet :thumbup:

Its a very nice helmet .Light,plenty vents and super comfy.

Its a very nice helmet .Light,plenty vents and super comfy.

Seems to be missing a shower head, though.