Check my bikestand!

Vetseun

You now have to follow very closely:-

* get two of the clamps in the pic belw. They are made for Holdfast bike carriers.

* get two pieces of pipe that fits into each other.

* attach the two clamps on a piece of square tubing and weld the tubing to the smallest pipe.

* drill a hole in the bigger pipe and weld a nut to it.

* Weld a piece of round bar to a bolt and use it like a wing nut to clamp the smaller pipe to the larger pipe.

* you can also cut a slot into the smallr pipe around the circumference and add another fixed bolt to limit the rotation of the clamp.

Daar het jy jou klemp.

Sketch of above:-

post-24908-0-75206400-1313955161.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Times like this when I knew how to weld. So want to get a decent bike stand but why spend R1000-R2000 for something when you can weld your own for less than R200.

Only thing I would add to these designs is some coaster wheels, perhaps have the ones that can lock, as I have a small garage and do all my maintenance in the communial parking area

warning: if you don't have a bike stand that can fold away... it will eventually become a pain in the chunkies.

I said: 'eventually'

Was just thinking the same after how I would weld my own (if I could weld). Now my wife has some work stands with wheels she uses in the her hair salon that are can be dissembled for easy transport and I would copy the design for a bike stand.

Times like this when I knew how to weld. So want to get a decent bike stand but why spend R1000-R2000 for something when you can weld your own for less than R200.

Only thing I would add to these designs is some coaster wheels, perhaps have the ones that can lock, as I have a small garage and do all my maintenance in the communial parking area

Easy to weld. I have a small inverter welder. Hangs over my shoulder. Buy a angle grinder with a 15mm dia grinding wheel. Invest in a welding helmet that darkens when you strike the arc, so much easier. Learn to draw an arc by trying to write your name on a piece of metal.

Read this:-

http://www.wikihow.com/Weld

Search Google for more sites. There are many. Initially it may cost a little investment but on the long run you will start making a lot of thinges that will be wrth while.

Look at Adendorff Machnery Mart, thye sell good products for the DIY enthusiast.

www.tooltime.co.za

warning: if you don't have a bike stand that can fold away... it will eventually become a pain in the chunkies.

I said: 'eventually'

It is easy to attach flanges on my design above to make legs that fold upwards by drilling holes and inserting bolts and nuts. Not as smart as an expensive alu stand but it works.

The bracket that grips the bike is a PVC T piece pipe that has hinges and high density foam on the inside. The metal clasp closes it. It can also then pivot as per the photo.The pivot works with a piece of threaded rod that is locked at the desired angle by turning the lever until secured in place. The photos arent very clear, sorry for this. I will draw it and publish the drawing with measurements, anybody with slight technical ability will be able to build one.

The clamp is a very neat design. Will the PVC T piece be able to withstand the momentum of the bike hanging on it?

Edited by eccentric1

It holds mine easily. I even loostened the crank while it was hanging. No probs

The clamp is a very neat design. Will the PVC T piece be able to withstand the momentum of the bike hanging on it?

I found this on CRC. With some mods it could be made to fit onto a stand.

post-17843-0-78732700-1314003730.jpg

X-Tools Clamp

Edit: Around R500

Quite neat. This could bolt directly to my el cheapo stand I posted. Unless you are servicing a suspension bike you do not really need a clamp. My angle iron rest as in my design is quite sufficient. Should you really need to clamp it you can use one of those friction webbing straps to secure the top tube.

My design for the rotating clamp is an impromptu design. I have never built one but will do when I am in SA in September and report back.

It holds mine easily. I even loostened the crank while it was hanging. No probs

Just be carefull as uPVC gets brittle over time. uPVC also cracks when you stand on it. We use a lot on site.

The bracket that grips the bike is a PVC T piece pipe that has hinges and high density foam on the inside. The metal clasp closes it. It can also then pivot as per the photo.The pivot works with a piece of threaded rod that is locked at the desired angle by turning the lever until secured in place. The photos arent very clear, sorry for this. I will draw it and publish the drawing with measurements, anybody with slight technical ability will be able to build one.

Flippin clever that agent, I've got a half built one and have been looking for a vicegrip with a pipe clamp jaws to complete it.

What did you use to as a clamp for the bike? Can you show us a close up pic of the clam maybe?

Quite neat. This could bolt directly to my el cheapo stand I posted. Unless you are servicing a suspension bike you do not really need a clamp. My angle iron rest as in my design is quite sufficient. Should you really need to clamp it you can use one of those friction webbing straps to secure the top tube.

My design for the rotating clamp is an impromptu design. I have never built one but will do when I am in SA in September and report back.

I made s stand using square tube and a single Holdfast clamp. In hindsight I should have used two clamps. Mine doglegs at the bottom and doubles as a floor stand with the two hooks for the rear triangle.

As far as the T-Piece goes, What about using the heavy duty thick walled ones (Dark Grey) that they use for cooling towers and similar water and chemical lines?