My first commute!!

davetapson

Jozi commuters I thinking of commuting, but will have to commute from Harties to Braamfontein. It's far yes. Do you know of a place where one can leave the car that is possibly half way and cycle the rest. Any ideas, suggestion would be great

Northgate Shopping Centre?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jozi commuters

I thinking of commuting, but will have to commute from Harties to Braamfontein. It's far yes.

Do you know of a place where one can leave the car that is possibly half way and cycle the rest.

Any ideas, suggestion would be great

Fourways Mall?

I switched up my commuting route last thursday. Randpark Ridge to Bryanston

Old route: through Randburg CBD.

New Route: Through Sonneglans, Olivedale, Douglasdale, Bryanston Extensions.

New route is safer as the roads are smaller. Plus the stretch along CR Swart and Pres Fouche is 95% offroad.

I had plenty of fun bowmbing on the rain rutted dirt paths. Like Dave said... great feeling when you see all the cars stuck there and you bomb down a dirt hill alongside the road just flowing and hopping. (1st half of the commute)

Less fun when they start pasisng on the up-hills (2nd half).

Used the same route home... felt like a climb 80% of the way.

in total it must be about 17km and it takes me 1hr. Not a great average speed, but I'm on a 160mm AM bike, I don't 'race it'... I also stop at red robots and pick up goo packets along the way :lol:

Edited by patches

Enough to never get out of bed, but I travel by car about 65km one way.

But the Beyers Naude trafiic and the Olifants fontein or Malibongwe traffic is crazy. So wanna start with half way.

Also not a bad idea.

I would suppose these are relatively safe?

Guess so, but if you gonna do it regularly, try speak to centre management at either about a cheaper rate for covered secure parking.

I've got a feeling the Northgate might well be my "safest" bet

It'll be a safer ride I guess, find your way to Beyers Naude and straight up to aukland park, (I'd go over artillery and into Brixton as well) hang a left and Braamfontein's your aunty.

or park at Monte. Covered and the rate is R10 flat

Yeah, but a kark ride through bryanston.sandton.randburg. I mean nice hills, but kark traffic.

true... although William Nicol has a nice wide shoulder/emergency lane most of the way from Monte to Hyde Park. Then hit Jan Smuts through Rosebank into Braamfontein?!

You could even "dice" some of the Engen morning riders along William Nic :lol:

true... although William Nicol has a nice wide shoulder/emergency lane most of the way from Monte to Hyde Park. Then hit Jan Smuts through Rosebank into Braamfontein?!

You could even "dice" some of the Engen morning riders along William Nic :lol:

Yeah, Jan Smuts would be a no go zone for me on a bike during rush hour.

Yeah, Jan Smuts would be a no go zone for me on a bike during rush hour.

oh yeah... good point! The only part of the suggested Braamfontein route I'v tried is from Hyde Park to Rosebank, and it was all just playing around along the sidewalk. The road part gets a bit narrow on that stretch, especially when cars treet the 1 wide unmarked lane as a 2 lane.

Also, that windy bit past the westcliff... that won't be safe at all. I suppose the backroutes in that area need to be explored

I think MTB is the way to go for commuting. You can hop curbs etc. to take evasive action (which is inevitable in traffic). Plus if you go through a suburb you have the opportunity to skid the cr@p out of some poor sod's lawn! :-)

Edited by G-Unit