Mankele Avalanche

Kranswurm

it's not about winning, it's about barreling down a mountain as fast as you can. why do lycra's always think it's about winning?

Cos it's a race and it is about winning :blink:

Any who I'm on your side bud. I'm just saying that the podium every year is packed with grape smugglers on XC bikes.

We're obviously just having too much fun on the hill to care, but it would be cool if someone from the baggie brigade could win one year.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be there in baggies, and on my 150mm trail bike.

The question is more"

Full face helmet or lightweight xc lid.

I say baggies brew! I did one run in me lycra last year trying to represent and totally bombed out on the first sharp corner - (forcing)!!!

Got to the bottom, put on my baggies, road for the fun & actually had alot smoother runs.

I will be there in baggies, and on my 150mm trail bike.

The question is more"

Full face helmet or lightweight xc lid.

Wear your critters DJ lid, that way you won't look too serious, but will shock and amaze when you beat some lycra

Did stage 3. on the 29er today, and was 2 minutes slower than last year, was it the bike, was it the legs, was it me belly or is just the lack of urgency that you only get on race day? :blush:

Did stage 3. on the 29er today, and was 2 minutes slower than last year, was it the bike, was it the legs, was it me belly or is just the lack of urgency that you only get on race day? :blush:

Probably the braking mostly. A 29er has more wheel momentum to slow down. It will be slower than a 26er through very slow corners but more traction and grip through medium and fast corners. 29er will slower accelerating out of corners.

So with your steep stage 3 needing hard braking into those tight corners your 26er will be quicker.

BTW, I didn't ride last year so don't know if the route is very different? I am assuming that it mostly the same as the year I rode...

Would love to go but doubt I'll be able to make it.

Siss on you!!! You can ALWAYS make a plan. :thumbup:

Probably the braking mostly. A 29er has more wheel momentum to slow down. It will be slower than a 26er through very slow corners but more traction and grip through medium and fast corners. 29er will slower accelerating out of corners.

So with your steep stage 3 needing hard braking into those tight corners your 26er will be quicker.

BTW, I didn't ride last year so don't know if the route is very different? I am assuming that it mostly the same as the year I rode...

Ye, the track is pretty much the same as previous. The Specialized demo crew is here this week, so I be doing a run with them 2morrow and see how it goes minus all the lose stones (after a bit of preping).

Siss on you!!! You can ALWAYS make a plan. :thumbup:

Surely the orange beast needs a workout? ;)

Ye, the track is pretty much the same as previous. The Specialized demo crew is here this week, so I be doing a run with them 2morrow and see how it goes minus all the lose stones (after a bit of preping).

Sounds good.

I'm sorry I will only be a spectator this year. I was looking forward to it... but will be there to support my girls and a few others I know.

Now you get 29ers and then you get THE 29er. Did all 3 stages with the Specialized Demo Crew on a Stumpjumper 29er. What a RIDE!!! It rolls like a 29er but reacts like a 26er. One day when I'm big..............

Course looking good!! :thumbup: Beware the new bridge on Stage 2. You launch off (the right corner) of a fast board walk, drop only about 400 -500mm and land on smoothly below.

Well that was the plan, and walk away with a damaged ego, a roasty on my knee, elbow, shoulder & looks like I had a skin grapht on my back - einaaa!!!! :blush:

Practice runs tomorrow, shuttle leaving at 14:30 & 16:00

Race briefing at 19:00.

Later!

Eish, sorry to hear dude. Hope it heals soon.

See you tomorrow. All packed and ready to spectate.

Hey Slick, shot for the support. Hopefully next year you'll be on you're bike.

Another Avalanche come and gone! What a weekend. Regular turnout, but boy were there some snakes this year.

I was hoping to defend my Top 10 title the regular competition (Damion & Jason), thanks to a tree that jumped in front of me on the 1st run of stage 1 all my hope & dreams were shattered. :cursing: I suppose 17th with a dislocated shoulder aint toooo bad.

Big up to the COTIC guys! I'm sure Mike's gonna enjoy his "Lacerated Leper's Lungs Green COTIC frame"

Same time same place, next year. Oh, well done to Bryce, againnnnn!