Cycling Training

camerons

Six hard spinning classes plus a long ride on the road sounds like over doing it a bit to me. You need rest days too.

Random thought. Rob, do you remember what happened this time of year 5 years ago?

On topic: when I was training hard last year, a typical week at this point would consist of about 60min of core work on Monday, a 90-120min ride with long hill threshold intervals (8min+, usually up Northcliff) on Tuesday, a light 90-120min ride on Wednesday, a 90-120min tempo ride on Thursday and some more core on Friday. The weekend would be one hard 3-4hr ride or race and a light 3-4hr ride. Every 4th week was a lighter week.

Closer to the peak of the season, the Tuesday session would be closer to 120min and the intervals would be longer (10+min), but the same relative intensity. The Thursday session became another interval session with 4min VO2max intervals. The weekend rides were at 4hr+.

Edited by Edman

Come on is there no one out there that can help?

I'm not on any fancy workout plan. But this is what I do.

I do 30 - 60 min hills once a week. 40-60 km's once. One high cadence workout. Try to attend 2 x 45 min spinning classes. On Sundays we have a groupride of 80-100. And on Fridays I REST.

Would also like to hear what the better riders do for training.

:-D

Sorry for keeping this up – but I honestly do believe in Graeme’s spinning classes… Three of his 45min spinning classes with one long ride a week should still give you good results!

Have a look at Fittrack.co.za - There are loads of plans based around goal times for races as well as how much time you have to train per week. Personally Ive seen really big improvements since i started using it. The programs are structured around periodisation and base work - much like you will read about in Joe Friels book.

My favorite book about cycling training though is "Serious Cycling - by Edmund Burke,Phd" - i actually prefer it to Joe Friels book.

Random thought. Rob, do you remember what happened this time of year 5 years ago?

Boat race!

whew, was that 5 years ago already. dam.

My question is to those at the pointy end of road races... what sort of training are you guys doing? I would love to see a sample of your training plans and to learn what you're up to.

Cheers

Volume-wise guys who race competitively in the CT league will do anything from 10-20 hours a week - depends on the person and what they can fit in.

You need intervals, both steady state and shorter above threshold intervals to build speed and endurance at threshold. This will also help you cope with the attacking style of racing - short accelerations followed by lulls.

In summer the races are more hilly and obviously this is where the attacks happen, so as a tri-athlete you will no doubt need to lose upper body weight to improve your power to weight ratio.

Personally I do around 7 hours in the week and two long rides on the weekend, combined with a healthy eating programme. I mostly train on water or 32GI to try and keep my weight down, then get a decent race fuel for the events.