Nutrition

Garfield2010

A few points that work for me:

1. Cramping - USN Cramp Stop. I don't cramp when I take it. Quackery or not, if I forget it on a long run/cycle I cramp. Simple as that.

2. Lactic acid - best bet is to continually take in carbs according to the 60-90g/hour principle and if you can, about 1 tbsp L-Glutamine powder per 90min or so. Not so easy to take it with though, but if you're worried, it will help. Don't test this in the race. Never ever. Train it like everything else.

3. Nutrition - Gels. Powerbar mainly - since we need to train those for IMSA :-) So I'm well used to them by now. I'm thinking 1 per hour. I'm going to do my running nutrition like IMSA. I've heard they are handing out GU at Challenge CT, slightly concerning! At C2C they *should* have Potatoes. That said, I'm also a huge believer in 32GI (esp the neutral flavour, I put it in my plain water bottles).

4. Avoid coke, bananas and mixtures of these. Neither of these mix well with gels or anti-cramp stuff. Personal opinion/advice. Use it or don't. On the other hand, I try take in as much powerade/energade as I physically can. I hope they have those nice freezing cold naartjie energade sachets like they had at 2Oceans.. won't that be nice!

MDW: On allot of endurence related websites they suggest consuming about a 100grams of carbs 3hrs before the race. I have tried this. Its allot of oats or pronutro. Even if you break it down to say 50grams grams of carbs from food (that is like 98grams of raw oats) and a full serving of 32GI. Its quit uncomfortable consuming that amount of food before a race.

1. Your feeling on this pls?

2. This new product you guys are launching. Give some hints pls :drool:

Jaco, my personal opinion on how many grams of carbs is the following:

Its impossible to replace lost calories in an edurance event, but just be replacing a little bit your body can still be very efficient and perform. I dont agree with taking in 100grams of carbs that would bloat me terribly before and event, and it depends on how u r taking the carbs in and what type of carbs, for example a serving of 32Gi in a 750ml bottle of water, would bloat me too much. I go with 25grams in 230ml's of water instead, and 2 slices of low GI toast for breakfast with a bit of jam, if the race is soon after my morning intake then its ok to just sip on a little drink and or maybe nibble on something light. If its many hours afterwards well then you will need to snack on some more carbs to keep your levels topped up.

BUT, lets look at South African reality. I am on the hub, so cycling is the focus, lets take it as we see it. Whats the average time of a cycle race in this country, 2.5 - 4hrs, most of the decent athletes are doing around 3 or so hours for events. So first off, what are your glycogen levels for an event. They should be full, and that all comes down to natural daily eating, ensuring frequent healthy meals, plenty of fruit and veg, and recovery meals after training session to restore glycogen. At top up your body can store around 500grams of glycogen which is existent in water of course, so a little more weight, but this should give you 90min - 2hours of energy, and just hydrating yourself and assist in good usage. So now take in a pre race meal, 2 slices of toast add another 60minutes of energy, plus and energy drink?

So I think overloading on carbs leads more to discomfort than necessity. I have raced 94.7 on 2 bottles of water, finished in 2h21 and felt strong to the finish. My method, decent pre race meal, and the week before decent eating. I did it to prove to some colleagues that if your body is efficient at utilising its own natural stores ie: fat, glycogen, protein, then you dont need to go mad on carb feeding. If I go 3 hours, then YES, additional carbs required and I take in calorie not carb weight as a measurement so I will look to around 200-250calories per an hour in an ironman event, I use chews to keep my topped up, of course I am burning more than 250 an hour but direct replacement is not possible, fat store tapping is, and its an amazing fuel if you tap into it consistently.

Bottom line, how many grams of carbs you require I think is not necessary, look more at the type of event you are doing, stick to the basics, and look at calories you are taking in per an hour to assist with energy balance.

later

ME

Hey Gripen

Is Gu not better than energybar?

I train on Gu ion any case so it suits me.

I'm not sure you can neccessarily say one gel is better than another. I think it's all about what you train with and what you're used to. Personally I cannot stomach either GU or Powerbar and import SIS Go Gels from the UK. Works out cheaper than buying local gels anyway.

I like Gu gels. They taste good and Raynard is not doing to ***!

Oh and I also love that wollerige glibberige feeling of plaak they leave on my teeth after a few hours.

If you like and train with them then great. Just make sure that either they are what they're giving out at whatever race you're doing or bring your own because switching on race day wouldn't be so smart. I have made this mistake twice and suffered from bad stomach cramps on the run as a result.

Speaking of gels I learnt a neat trick. On my bike I carry two bottles, in one I mix a bunch of gels with water in the other I carry just plain water. During the race I just sip on the gel/water mix instead of having to phaff with gels. Nice neat solution.

Edited by camerons

Sounds awesome. I would then however need 3 bottles cause I also like 32GI. I actually only keep gels for desperate situations (normally the last hour of every race I do!). Dont train with them.

In anycase the gel that works for me is the roctane from Gu and it is way too expensive to use while training as well.....

Hey Garfield,

Try this,make up 3 or 4 small(jiffy bags..the smallest you can find) of 32gi..say a half serving per bag.when you pass the water tabels at say km 15,25,30 and 35..take some water sackets and pour them into a empty coke cup with the powder.mix and drink..all while walking.have done this at the comrades and did the whole race on practicly only 32gi.plus the powerder is light to carry!Enjoy the race!

I have done the city to city a few times, but many years ago, its a great run and not too taxing for a novice.

In my opinion worrying about pre race nutrition is fine if you are a Pro, but for the average Joe plodding along its more important to worry about DEHYDRATION and endurance than nutrition.

People like to overcomplicate things, just stick to your usual diet before the event but try and take in a little extra carbohydrate in the form of an energy drink at night. If your diet is good, as a novice that's all you will need.

I carry a moon bag with a few gels and an energy bar or two, (but if you are not used to running with one dont start on race day it will drive you nuts) but most races have food like bananas, boiled potatoes or similar available on route, so you can eat there, and of course drink at every station.

If you have only ever run 21kms I think your bigger concern than nutrition is pacing yourself over the longer distance and having people around to help and advise on route. I would suggest getting into a bus of folk who are committed to running together, there's lots of them around and they are usually driven by an experienced runner who will tell you to slow down, speed up, walk, drink, eat etc, for a first time runner over these distances I think that's a more important concern.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy