2011: Giant Reign XO first look

Chubba

Interbike 2011: Giant Reign XO first look

By Robin Weaver in Bootleg Canyon, Nevada

Giant Reign XO (Russell Burton)

post-12790-0-63380300-1315830796.jpg

Following on from yesterday's pre-demo day first ride of the Giant XTC Composite 29er, we took a first look at another bike they'll be showing at this year's Interbike trade show - the Reign XO.

With 170mm (6.7in) out back and 160mm (6.3in) up front, it's more than happy to be belted into all the rugged turns and lairy drops that Bootleg Canyon has to offer. At a smidgen over 29lbs, it’s surprisingly sprightly for such a big hitter and is more than happy to be thrown around.

We like the fact that it’s offers a very natural feel and you can just jump on and feel right at home on it. Giant’s very own Contact Switch height adjustable seat post is a nice touch, and works in a simple yet effective way.

On the subject of own brand kit, their bar and stem is also worth a mention. The bar measures in at a healthy 750mm which gives plenty of leverage and when coupled with the 60mm stem, gives just about the right balance for when you’re sat down pedalling or ragging it out of the saddle.

We’re glad Giant chose to stick with the Maxxis Minion DH F 2.35in tyres front and back. Their 60a compound rolls at an acceptable pace but the predictable grip on offer out on these loose Bootleg trails is great and hard to fault. We’ll have the full lowdown

Bikeradar

Edited by Chubba