IM70.3 SA

gadget

Ok, so just to be absolutely clear, because there are two different views in the answers:

Example

I am in wave 2 and start 7:15. If I finish the swim in 45min(@ 8:00) then I have 4:05 min for the cycle and therefore need to finish by 12:05, and not by wave 2's cut off time of 12:30. In effect I have reduced my overall time to finish the race by 25mins.

Is this correct?

As Garfield says, the cut off times seems reasonable, but I think it is important to know these minor details. Anything can happen during the race.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add a positive spin after the last post.

Having watched the cutoffs I moved to the finish and spent at least 2 hours watching the guys finish.

What an atmosphere!

I had a lump in my throat and felt the emotion of every athlete coming in.

Some guys were powerful, some guys were hobbling but they all shared the same satifaction and joy at making the finish line. I remember one very big guy coming in a steady shuffle. Henri was his name on his race number. The whole country knows him at Ollie le Roux.

Having always been on the race course, it was so uplifting to appreciate the athletes joy and pain.

ADe

If you do your swim faster than the cutoff time then you have more time on the bike.

The cutoffs are per wave.

Start time plus 1h10 plus 4h05.

The same applies at the finish.

Start time plus 1h10 plus 4h05 plus 3h15.

Edited by davem

Hi ADe

Refer to page 12 for your cut off times for each wave.....

Stay within these and you will not get stopped.

If you swim 20 minutes and bike 04h20 for example then you will be allowed to finish as you are well within the overall cut off time after the bike. There is no way the marshalls know your splits during the race of each item. You will however not get a finsihers certificate the next day as you missed the bike split.

If you are in wave 2, then make sure you are done cycling by 12h30 or you will be stopped.......

Dave do you agree?

It seems the millions dollar question is what happens if you swim 30 minutes but bike 04h20?

Strictly speaking you are within the compounding cut off time although technically you missed the individual bike split time.

If I understand the rules correct you are therefore technically disqualified although there will be no way of knowing this on route so you will be allowed to finish.

Does anyone know 100% if this is correct?

As I have it you will be disqualified. In the full Ironman however they do not do it like this and there you only have to finish within 17 hours regardless of what your "bike split" was....

I don't agree that you won't be given a finishers certificate if you made the three cutoffs but your individual time for a discipline are over the allocated discipline time.

You get a medal at the finish, therefore you are a finisher.

Last years results show 68 athletes with bike time greater than 4h05 who are finishers. The slowest being 4h24. Ha, actually someone I know, Total Immersion swim instructor.

Edited by davem

It seems the millions dollar question is what happens if you swim 30 minutes but bike 04h20?

Strictly speaking you are within the compounding cut off time although technically you missed the individual bike split time.

If I understand the rules correct you are therefore technically disqualified although there will be no way of knowing this on route so you will be allowed to finish.

Does anyone know 100% if this is correct?

As I have it you will be disqualified. In the full Ironman however they do not do it like this and there you only have to finish within 17 hours regardless of what your "bike split" was....

The time limits do compound. It doesn't matter if you miss the bike limit, but if you are in swim + bike limit then you will be ok.

Last year the swim and the bike leg saw some victims in terms of running out of time. AS was mentioned above the run can be walked.

My suggestion, dont skimp on the swimming and practice continuous swims of 1600m plus. A sub 4 hour argus/94.7 rider will easily klap the bike leg. Its not that bad.

Some advice for the bike leg:

The course has 600m of climbing which is tougher than most 70.3 distance events but it not as tough as 94.7 (1000m+ of climbing.)

The course is mostly undulating meaning that the hills are not particularly steep. The one hill past the Hemingway shopping centre is quite tough.

On the return trip, you can go really fast. Your return time can be a lot faster than your out time.

I recommend practicing fast descending. There is technique to being able to crest a hill at a sensible heart rate and to immediately be able to put on the power and accelerate up to 60+ kmh, tuck really low and free wheel up most of the next hill.

Edited by davem

Like Paul said at the Race Briefing - "you will think that you are going to miss the cutoff at the halfway mark on the bike". The thought did cross my mind, having got to 45km at an average of 21km/h (was my first time and I had a cold...). I managed a 3h27 bike split which means the second half took me 1h17 and the first half 2h10. The difference is huge! It really is a massive downhill from halfway. So it's really a matter of getting to 45km "fresh". If you can make it to the 45km mark in 2h30, I'd bet you will still make the cutoff. Question is, are you training? Since if you are, averaging 18-20km/h for 45km should be doable even with some hills. You can pretty much freewheel from there and average close to 30 without too much effort.

Make the cutoff irrelevant in your mind and it will be just that!

Disclaimer: this excludes having 3 flats and getting off the bike for whatever reason - focus on what you can control.

Edited by gripen

Like Paul said at the Race Briefing - "you will think that you are going to miss the cutoff at the halfway mark on the bike". The thought did cross my mind, having got to 45km at an average of 21km/h (was my first time and I had a cold...). I managed a 3h27 bike split which means the second half took me 1h17 and the first half 2h10. The difference is huge! It really is a massive downhill from halfway. So it's really a matter of getting to 45km "fresh". If you can make it to the 45km mark in 2h30, I'd bet you will still make the cutoff. Question is, are you training? Since if you are, averaging 18-20km/h for 45km should be doable even with some hills. You can pretty much freewheel from there and average close to 30 without too much effort.

Make the cutoff irrelevant in your mind and it will be just that!

Disclaimer: this excludes having 3 flats and getting off the bike for whatever reason - focus on what you can control.

:thumbup: Great advice, I think!

3 flats!

Put slime in your tyres. This is not a road race, you don't need Ferrari type acceleration.

ADe

If you do your swim faster than the cutoff time then you have more time on the bike.

The cutoffs are per wave.

Start time plus 1h10 plus 4h05.

The same applies at the finish.

Start time plus 1h10 plus 4h05 plus 3h15.

Thanks Dave. This clarifies it.

Unfortunately this is only correct in the full IM. The half IM you have a cut off for each discipline. They will however not stop you during the race as long as you are within the overall last cut off times so you should finish and get the medal, you will however not get the finshers certificate etc the following day if you missed ANY ONE OF THE THREE CUT OFF TIMES.

Swim cut off is 70min

Bike is 04h05

Run is 03h15

My suggestion therefore is that if you have time to burn, rather take your time in transition. If you are a strong cyclist for example, no need to transition from bike to run in 2 minutes and then walk the first 5km's of the run. Rather take 10min in transition, rest and then have a good start to the run. THere is no cut off time for transition.

I have got a finisher Certificate to proof you wrong with a 3h48 Half Marathon run (crawl) time

Cool, I was under the wrong impression then.

Also when you wake up on a Saturday or Sunday and it is pouring down, go train. I have done four 70.3's and it rained quite heavily in three of them. It is important that you are able to perform when it is pouring down and windy.

If you can choose would you take a calm sea and heavy wind or a Stormy sea with no wind?

I know you cant choose was just wondering what to hope for.

Then again as long as we dreaming take a calm sea with no wind and overcast conditions......as if that will ever happen.