IM70.3 SA

gadget

Well, which is running like a duck ? :) Toe-in or toe-out? I found that learning to "toe-out" a bit doesn't stretch the ITB as much and after making that change I managed to run Comrades with no ITB - lots of other issues though, mainly shin related problems and lack of training

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it now or forever struggle with ITB..... Also get a foam roller.

so true! I started running about 8 months ago and aside from being a complete chop and running in Salomons on the road (i had no other shoes), my stretching plan didnt include a roller.

needless to say my left knee conked out after awhile and after some good physio treatment a proper pair of road shoes and a foam roller i havent looked back.

those rollers are INSANELY good. Painful, but they definitely work! :thumbup:

Edited by Fish Eagle

Gripen, I have seen you run. Your main problem is that you toes actually points backwards when you run. Your big toe is 270 degrees off centre. No wonder you do not get ITB!! The judges once wanted to DQ Gripen cause you are not allowed to run backwards in an IM.............

Gripen, I have seen you run. Your main problem is that you toes actually points backwards when you run. Your big toe is 270 degrees off centre. No wonder you do not get ITB!! The judges once wanted to DQ Gripen cause you are not allowed to run backwards in an IM.............

Eiiiish I must have the same problem as Gripen. No I know why I have never managed to get near the start line in an IM ...

70.3 SA now sold out! It is the biggest Ironman 70.3 event in the world. Not looking forward to the swim with 1500 others (in my wave) and also, good luck to the marshals trying to give cards to 3000 cyclists blocking and/or drafting!

sold out with 2months to go?! wow someone is going to get fired for this. Clearly they could have added an extra 25% on the entry fee.

sold out with 2months to go?! wow someone is going to get fired for this. Clearly they could have added an extra 25% on the entry fee.

I'm not so sure. They had 200 spots left when "normal" entries closed, and had a big Facebook and Twitter campaign to flog the rest. So I think they have found a good sweet spot. Lift the price too much and you'll piss of returning athletes.

What will be interesting is how many are first timers. given the bigger field it must be quite a few.

I wonder if they will consider starting us off in more waves then the normal 3? I heard like the guys alone are 1,500+ ........... Imagine 1,500 people aiming for the first buoy at the same time.....

*** en hare

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

I would like to ask.

Do any of you guys have an eating or an 'in take' plan for IM 70.3.

If you do, would you be so kind as to share, what you will be taking in and where more or less on the race.

Thanks

Brent

Brent

Personally I believe in solid salty foods until the run. Eat a breakfast obviously before the race. Then on the bike eat some potatoes that you cooked the previous day and I also like some salt and vinegar chips. I also balance it out with some water and 32 GI. Test it in races and see what works for you.

Once I hit the run I will start with gels and coke.

Oh and obviously it will differ depending on how long you will plan on racing as well. All I know is that your body responds less favourable to solid foods as the race goes on.

Fact is that you have to eat. Only going on gels will make you throw up I can promise you (accept if you are a pro).

Therefor like I said start with solids and make your way to gels.

Sure they will do fine. It is a matter of taste. I dont like too much sweet stuff in general. Bananas and energy bars will do fine!!

Thanks for replying.

No Bananas or energy bars?

Brent

You have to find what works for you. Best you start experimenting now.

First and foremost go get some 32gi. That stuff is the bees knees. I've been using it for a while and after a 7.5hr DC last weekend I am convinced its the best drink out there, so look no further.

As far as food goes, having a decent breakfast is key, 2 slices of low gi toast with peanut butter or jam or both does the trick for me and of course the mandatory coffee. I would sip a bottle of 32gi on the way to the start.

The bike is where you can eat. You can eat on the run but its more difficult. Remeber that one bottle of 32gi should give you +-2 hrs of energy. On the bike I would have some boiled baby potatoes with lots of salt (pre made as suggested above) and try to get through at least one bottle of 32gi but preferably a bottle and a half.

On the run you can carry an energy bar in your pocket and drink water for the first 12 - 15k's. After 15k's you can hit the coke to get you home, but hold out as long as possible.

The above is based on the race taking +-5.5 - 6.5 hours depending. It worked for me last year and ever since then on all the events I've done like sani2c and the DC

Good luck!

You have to find what works for you. Best you start experimenting now.

First and foremost go get some 32gi. That stuff is the bees knees. I've been using it for a while and after a 7.5hr DC last weekend I am convinced its the best drink out there, so look no further.

As far as food goes, having a decent breakfast is key, 2 slices of low gi toast with peanut butter or jam or both does the trick for me and of course the mandatory coffee. I would sip a bottle of 32gi on the way to the start.

The bike is where you can eat. You can eat on the run but its more difficult. Remeber that one bottle of 32gi should give you +-2 hrs of energy. On the bike I would have some boiled baby potatoes with lots of salt (pre made as suggested above) and try to get through at least one bottle of 32gi but preferably a bottle and a half.

On the run you can carry an energy bar in your pocket and drink water for the first 12 - 15k's. After 15k's you can hit the coke to get you home, but hold out as long as possible.

The above is based on the race taking +-5.5 - 6.5 hours depending. It worked for me last year and ever since then on all the events I've done like sani2c and the DC

Good luck!

Or you can HTFU, bite the pillow boy and go in dry...........

6 hours is not that long.

:clap: :clap: