IM70.3 SA

gadget

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in for Energades, Joburg Tri, Challenge Cape Town, 70.3 and IMSA. So much for "building it up" with Challenge smack bang int he middle there. Little bit worried about Challenge, kakked off a bit today, only tapered about a week but the 50k run had a LOT of hills. Challenge has 1 (I think). The cycle on the other hand... All the races this year are for fun/training. I'll worry about times and stuff for 70.3 and IMSA.

70.3 is hard. Very hard. I always say IMSA is easier. Not sure why people are "scared" of IMSA if they can do 70.3. Makes no sense to me. That massive 45km uphill plus Bunkers Hill on the run (nevermind the unusually cold sea this year). Good fun. It's not called Ironman for nothing ;-)

I have just entered the 70.3. This will be my first one.

Where can I get a decent training program. My goal is to finish within the time and to enjoy.

I have just entered the 70.3. This will be my first one.

Where can I get a decent training program. My goal is to finish within the time and to enjoy.

Check out www.beginnertriathlete.com

I live in the Fourways/Broadacres are. Can you perhaps send me details of the routes - would like to try them out.

Oi, I dont' know the area well , but go Cedar road, just before the N14, you turn left, and go though Mulderdrift, up past Silverstar(now, don't get tempted and go in there... :) ) and go up Krugersdorp hill... then you can go back. Nice climbing there. Or when you get to Key West, turn left onto Voortrekker Rd, and head to Christiaan de Wet and return that way to Fourways. We end at West Rand cyles, and the last 25-30k is mostly up. :o

aweseme - thanks Cervelo, will give it a shot.

Give troisport a call, they have a tri club.

The cradle is FULL of triathletes on Saturdays. One group called Fleet train there each and every Saturday. Google it, run by a guy Freddy Lampret

East London is a tough course made even tougher this year with the weather.

I've made the decision though that I'll rather do Prestige and possibly Midmar in prep for IM than 70.3

Friends of mine are selling 2x plane tickets down to EL for the race. They've decided to drive apparently. PM me for more info. I hear the prices have skyrocketed since so it should be a win-win :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I am just interest to know how everyone's training is going. I am on schedule with my biking and running, but I am very worried about the swimming. I have missed a lot of swimming workouts due to work etc. (and maybe because it is my worst event)

My current program looks like this:

Mo Swim 45 ; Run 45min

Tue Swim 45 ; Cycle 1h

Wed Swim 45

Thur Run 1h ; Cycle 1.5hrs

Sat 2-3hr cycle

Sun 1hr run

The times increase about every 2 weeks or so.

For the more experienced guys, does this workout seem adequate with about 3 months to go before the event?

My goal is to finish.

I am just interest to know how everyone's training is going. I am on schedule with my biking and running, but I am very worried about the swimming. I have missed a lot of swimming workouts due to work etc. (and maybe because it is my worst event)

My current program looks like this:

Mo Swim 45 ; Run 45min

Tue Swim 45 ; Cycle 1h

Wed Swim 45

Thur Run 1h ; Cycle 1.5hrs

Sat 2-3hr cycle

Sun 1hr run

The times increase about every 2 weeks or so.

For the more experienced guys, does this workout seem adequate with about 3 months to go before the event?

My goal is to finish.

Thats about 5 times more training that I did my first time (and currently for that matter).

Don't worry about the swim. Its over before you know it. 6 weeks of solid swims 3 times a week at 2km will be more than sufficient.

You will smash the day easily with a program like that.

Dont forget Global11 at Sun City ( I think 3 or 4 weeks from now) then BSG Ultra Dec 16 just to check your progress for 70.3

Dont forget Global11 at Sun City ( I think 3 or 4 weeks from now) then BSG Ultra Dec 16 just to check your progress for 70.3

Is that Prestige Ultra confirmed?

They are taking ages to finalise the date on the website

Is that Prestige Ultra confirmed?

They are taking ages to finalise the date on the website

Just checked does not look like it. But no reason to think otherwise. I cant do 70.3 in Jan so if they do cancel i'll be pretty :cursing: The BSG folks have got it waxed. All will go well.

Hi Guys,

A couple of PE athletes have started a fund-raising initiative called 4-change. We're raising funds for Operation Smile Madiba Bay - a children's hospice (amongst other thiings) in Port Elizabeth through our racing (or finishing depending on the goals). We're hoping to raise R60 000 by the end of 2012, so the more athletes who sign-up the better...

The concept is simple, sign-up by purchasing a Race Top, and get a membership card that will give you discounts on bike services, sports massage, nutrition, bike accessories, discounts on wetsuits, running shoes & accommodation (some only apply to PE). Then get your family, friends and colleagues to sponsor you on a per km basis and let their 'small change' make a big change in the lives of the kids at Operation Smile...

There are a couple of guys doing the 70.3 so if you'd like to get involved, take a look at the website: www.4-change.co.za and Tri-4-change...

Orders for the race kit are closing next week, so if you'd like to RACE FOR A REASON, then please sign-up.

You can PM me for more info.