Need help deciding

craigross1

Coming from a bmx background, i'm not too clued up on hardtail MTBs, but i do want to get one for dirt jumps and street riding.

My options, leaving price out of the equation, are:

Brave Machine 202

Brave Machine 201

DMR Drone 24"

DMR Drone Reptoid

NS Bikes Holy 2

Revell DXS-R

They're all 24", single speed and described as dirt/urban.

Which bike do you think would be the best considering :

best on both terrains?

Previous experience?

best quality make?

THANKS!

Just a quick note

Some of those bikes mentioned above are 26" and not 24"

If you want to use it for a bit of DJ I would recommend something with suspension on the front. This is merely to take the sting out when landing hard.

Out of all the bikes that you have on the list I would recommend the Brave Machine 202 and this is based merely on the price/spec. Also spares for a 26" bikes is readily available where spares for a 24" might be a bit of a ball ache to get hold of. Note that I do not have personal experience with any of these bikes on your list.

On the flip side you should maybe look local as the shipping charges plus the import charges on a complete bike is going to put you well out of what you can get it locally for. Since you are new to the 24"/26" game maybe even look at some of the used bikes for sale as should you then not enjoy it you can always flog it without losing too much :thumbup:

Apologies, the Brave Machines are both 26", my mistake.

Thanks for the tips MissionS. Are there some local bike shops where i can find any of these bikes, that you can recommend?

Thanks.

My pleasure as I'm always game to increase the amount of DJer's in Gauteng.

New you can check out Mikes Bikes or go to O-Bikes. Some good buys there and they will have it delivered to your nearest bike store

Check out the classified section here as now and again a good bike pops up for sale :thumbup:

If money is not a variable check out the Kona Bass that is in the adds. :drool:

My pleasure as I'm always game to increase the amount of DJer's in Gauteng.

New you can check out Mikes Bikes or go to O-Bikes. Some good buys there and they will have it delivered to your nearest bike store

Check out the classified section here as now and again a good bike pops up for sale :thumbup:

If money is not a variable check out the Kona Bass that is in the adds. :drool:

Kona Bass for DJ/Street what are you smoking MissionS

Check out the GT Ruckus DX on obike, the frame it a bit heavy but is super strong and good to learn on.

Gears come in handy but SS is nicer, thats where horizontal dropouts are better

Any particular reason you want to go 24 inch? Most DJ bikes are 26 inch so there are more parts around and far more stuff for sale.

Unless you are already super smooth on the jumps, get a suspension fork.. It will save you more times than you can imagine.

If you would just like to try the sport out look on Gumtree for a 2nd hand bike, there are always a couple going for cheap.

If you are absolutely sure you are going to be riding for a long time pick and choose the parts yourself and build up your own custom rig. Choosing and building the bike is a blast on its own.. It is obviously more expensive this way but you get the perfect bike for you with quality hand picked parts in the colour you choose. 90 % of pre - built DJ bikes have nice frames but are kitted with entry level components. chainreactioncycles.com is cheap and shipping is fast and free if you spend more than +/- R2500.

I am a NS bikes rider but I wouldn't buy a complete one as you are going to be ending up paying tax as complete bikes are taxed a lot but if you buy it in parts it is not... A NS will probably cost R12 000 upwards.

Check this link, its a few parts that I put together now on CRC now:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/WishList.aspx?BasketID=55506934

Its a Octane One Void frame (built in same factory as NS, also have their own pro team etc). You can go cheaper if you like(cheaper crank, etc)

Good luck and report back. :thumbup:

Edited by Brawler

yo dude.

if you go to www.buycycle.co.za they have a bunch of entry level 26 inch dirt jump bikes for pretty good prices and they deliver to your door. the maxmax and absolute cromo look like good options tho the maxmax has solid front forks.