Beginner - What bike to buy

Camrin

Hey Guys,

Novice Girl here! In need of serious advice on which bicycle to buy to start road cycling?

Can anyone give advice?

- Budget : R5-7K

- Will mostly be road cycling although the odd off-road funride/challenge might be fun, to go road/MTB this is the question?

- What is the best(yet affordable) frame, tyres, seat etc to get?

Cheers,

Camrin :)

If you can, try and find a second hand bike. I just bought my girlfriend a second hand bike for about 1/2 of what it would cost new. The downside with second hand is that it can be difficult to find stuff in the right size - lots of medium and large bikes out there, not so much small and extra small.

Don't forget that you'll also need to by kit, gloves, pump, helmet etc. and possibly shoes too.

You said road mostly, so go for a road bike. Raleigh might not be one of the botique brands out there. But as a starter bike you can't go wrong. You'll get good bang for your buck component wise etc. And there are loads around 2nd hand right now.

Saddles hard to advise on, your touche might not like a saddle someone else's does. Best to try before you buy.

my 2c

My 2C. Whatever route you go make sure that you get the right size frame to fit your body. To me this is more important than the bike brand. Check out the sizing charts available on the web as a guide.

In the price range you mention I would go second hand. A new road bike would be very entry level and would depreciate significantly the minute you left the shop. Second hand you could pick up a bike with better components and wheels (the parts that maintain their value over time) and you are unlikely to need to upgrade soon.

Having said that you can get entry level bikes 2nd hand for between R2-R3000. This is an option as the outlay is not too big if you make an error you can move the bike on without too much of a loss.

Good luck!

Will you be training on your own or do you have a group to train with?

Ladies are normally keen for the road cycling thing but that dies down soon because not all of them are willing to take on the open road on their own, which is understandable.

It might be easier to go off road, no worries about traffic and safety, depending where you live.

For someone just starting out, a mtb is more versatile and can be used on the road and mtb where the roadbike can only, well stay on the road.

If you start out on a mtb and the bug bites and you fall in love with our beautiful sport, you can always get a road bike later. If you don't fancy the cycling thing that much, the mtb will at least offer you more fun.

Learn how to fix the basics like punctures yourself and the mtb can take you anywhere.

Ladies are normally keen for the road cycling thing but that dies down soon because not all of them are willing to take on the open road on their own, which is understandable.

It might be easier to go off road, no worries about traffic and safety, depending where you live.

For someone just starting out, a mtb is more versatile and can be used on the road and mtb where the roadbike can only, well stay on the road.

If you start out on a mtb and the bug bites and you fall in love with our beautiful sport, you can always get a road bike later. If you don't fancy the cycling thing that much, the mtb will at least offer you more fun.

Learn how to fix the basics like punctures yourself and the mtb can take you anywhere.

Well said.

I'd go with an MTB, purely because you've already mentioned that you like the idea of doing a couple of off-road adventures as well as cruising with mates on holidays etc. A mountain bike is perfect for this. In addition, all you need to do is get a set of Continental 1.5 slicks, and your MTB is transformed into a comfortable, kilometer munching machine for use on the road.

MTB's are far more versatile than road bikes...

Well said.

I'd go with an MTB, purely because you've already mentioned that you like the idea of doing a couple of off-road adventures as well as cruising with mates on holidays etc. A mountain bike is perfect for this. In addition, all you need to do is get a set of Continental 1.5 slicks, and your MTB is transformed into a comfortable, kilometer munching machine for use on the road.

MTB's are far more versatile than road bikes...

Thanks buddy, not too bad coming from a roadie! ;)

The Captain just pointed out how easy it is to convert your mtb into a tar munching machine! :thumbup:

Great advice!

And this beginner can always use slick tyres for road use... Like the captain said.

Edited by ' Dale

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have been mountainbikeing for a year and a half now and want to buy a new or second hand bike for max R9000..any help??