Weight of MTB

amoryns

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, I can?t stand it any more, this post is making me SICK, sick i tell you! How the f*ck do you get you DS to weigh so little. My Santa Cruz SL comes in at 11.7kg! Fork is 1.55kg, Frame is 2.25kg, Wheelset is 1.55kg. Groupset, I have no idea, mostly SRAM X.0, XTR and a XT Crankset. Tyres, come in at 1.1kg sooo what they f am I missing???<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

On a practical note, how do these really really lightweight bikes hold up as day to day training/racing machines? Is it true that for example XTR chain blades although light do wear out a lot quicker etc. etc.?

Or do the okes/gals use them only to race with and then train on some old dog they haul out of the back shed?

Marius, change all your bolts to Ti or Alu. Drilled out pulleys. Only 2 chainrings. Use the 300g Maxxis tyres. Full carbon seat. Tune bars, stem and post.

thx Mampara! gimmy a few minutes to get the weights of those components and I'll let you know if it's worth it. The Maxxis 300 tyres are out how ever, I don't mess around with light weight tyres, learned the hard way, super sonic's / sub 450g tyres se MA SA HARRE!

I got the first little peace of bling on my bike, it's the KCNC Drilled out PulleysBig%20smile

98% of my Scalpel's bolts have been swapped for Ti. I use Panaracer SpeedBlaster tyres @ 420g with Stans. I used to use Maxxis MiMo eXception tyres at 390g but found the sidewalls very fragile (after being in 2nd place in an marathon, 5km from the end, and having the sidewall cut). On my Trek I use Continental Twister Supersonics @ 350g, very nice rubber. I have a reducer headset (Cane Creek, which weighs quite a bit) on my Scalpel, with a SID World Cup, WCS stem, Token bar, Karbona seatpost, SLR saddle, X0 + Race Face + Hayes Carbon (to be replaced with Juicy Ultimates - 100g). The bike rockets so I'm very happy. Weight will come to 10.1kg.

I'm a hard racer, but don't abuse my components. I want a bike under me that will last. That 5.8kg MTB, it's been on WeightWeenies for a long time. Those guys skim off dics tabs on their forks, and remove the rebound cartridges out of their forks, something which I'm not willing to do. That bike won't last a Hell and Back.

I'm a hard racer' date=' but don't abuse my components. I want a bike under me that will last. That 5.8kg MTB, it's been on WeightWeenies for a long time. Those guys skim off dics tabs on their forks, and remove the rebound cartridges out of their forks, something which I'm not willing to do. That bike won't last a Hell and Back.
[/quote']

Exactly my thinking, I like your approach! And you have still ended up with a light bike without compromising your safety.

Tune stem: 165grams, my stem 180grams, so I?d save 15grams.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tune Riser Handlebars: They don?t make a riser bar, so it?s not a option, the flat bars they do make weigh the same as a light weight BBB on. SO no weight saving here.

Tune: Seatpost: 350/30.2 = 197grams, mine come sin at 207grams, so I save 14grams.

Total weight saving 29grams...

I don't think I can climb with only two chainrings...and my saddle is carbon already.

What I am getting how ever is the KCNC V brakes, I'd save a few 100grams there off my XTR's and I might get one of the cassettes as well, saving another 100grams. But still, it's no were near 11kg..

Tune stem: 165grams' date=' my stem 180grams, so I?d save 15grams.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tune Riser Handlebars: They don?t make a riser bar, so it?s not a option, the flat bars they do make weigh the same as a light weight BBB on. SO no weight saving here.

Tune: Seatpost: 350/30.2 = 197grams, mine come sin at 207grams, so I save 14grams.

Total weight saving 29grams...

I don't think I can climb with only two chainrings...and my saddle is carbon already.

What I am getting how ever is the KCNC V brakes, I'd save a few 100grams there off my XTR's and I might get one of the cassettes as well, saving another 100grams. But still, it's no were near 11kg..[/quote']

Why spend thousands on a Tune when you can get a WCS for R500 that's around 120g? My Token carbon bars come in at 120g as well, R400. Karbona seatpost, 155g, was $49 on eBay. Shop smart... Shops here in PE try sell SID World Cups' for R6300. I got mine over eBay, NEW, to my friggin front door for R3500.

CD, don't know, the weight weenie site tell me my frame is lighter or close to the same depending on shox.

Scalpel 800 2002model size S = 2520g

SC SL 2001model Size Medium = 2550g
Marius2007-12-07 04:15:01

CD' date=' don't know, the weight weenie site tell me my frame is lighter or close to the same depending on shox.

Scalpel 800 2002model size S = 2520g

SC SL 2001model Size Medium = 2550g
[/quote']

The 2008 model is a completely different triangle setup and material, so it should be much lighter than that.

Im sure the 2002 model weighed in at 2520g though.