150k + road training on Sunday

GTRacing

3 laps of Suikerbosrand? That sounds rather mean. I once did a brick session - cycled one loop and ran a short loop.

One day I will attempt the double.

From Clearwater, there's a 160Km loop going out to Magaliesburg, turn left at the R500 10Km on the R509 Koster road from Magaliesburg, cross the N14 and turn left on the R41 back to Randfontein. and back on Ontdekkers to Clearwater

For a good 205Km, there's a great route from Clearwater Mall to Magaliesburg and on to Derby, and back. You can shorten it by riding from the Cradle somewhere.

For more on the Derby route, you can add 32Km by going out to Koster, and stopping at the Wimpy before returning. The road has got a yellow line verge most of the way both there and back. From Koster, we occasionally do the extra 88Km to Lichtenberg, but although the the road is quiet, it is quite terrible!

Pity you are upcountry - the cape has some really great routes... well road really - you can make up any route you like!

Best thing here!! You can just join any loop/s you like. Easy to do 200k rides here with flat and climbs.

One question on Crater Cruise though - why the hell is it so hard? In theory it's a relatively flat untechnical 4 hourish ride but holy cowpoo I have never finished that race without being proper broken. Perhaps it's the lack of downhills to rest on - constant pressure on the pedals like chinese water torture!

Check your heart rate at download, guaranteed it will be sky high, we tend to ride that event very hard.

suikerbosrand - 3 loops

only safe place to road cycle in Gauteng i reckon

SUIKERBOS is not safe

my brother was hit there by the cleaner going the wrong way. my boet spent 5 weeks in ICU and is lucky to be alive. the reserve openly states that they can drive how they want. so be careful if you go there, ill take my chances on public roads any day.

SUIKERBOS is not safe

my brother was hit there by the cleaner going the wrong way. my boet spent 5 weeks in ICU and is lucky to be alive. the reserve openly states that they can drive how they want. so be careful if you go there, ill take my chances on public roads any day.

much safer than fourways imo, it worth the drive out there. Saw 2 cars on the 57 km route on saturday of which one was a support bakkie for a couple of cyclists.

Ride to carletonville and back westgate there and back is 146km its flat and good for a tempo zone 3 session

Maybe I'll see you there, but I'll be taking in the scenery instead of trying to break wheels and shocks again!