Growing my bike portfolio....

TheV

I already own a really awesome LOOK 996 XC Racer. It's awesome for longer, faster, less technical applications, but no good for playing at the cycle park, going through rock gardens, getting some air, and it bottoms out on drops and more technical downhills.

So I think I have the perfect excuse for the wife, I need a "all mountain" play bike.

Two great options are presenting themselves currently... Please help and advise...

1: brand new, stock, spez enduro sl comp 2010. It has 160mm of travel and it's ready to roll out the shop onto the trails.

2: Or a Santa Cruz 2009 Heckler frame only... I can then choose parts and labour amounting to 13k + frame will then be same amount as new 2010 enduro....

What do you guys suggest, both bikes seem to be really good from the reviews I've researched.

Obviously a new stock bike is easy to ride out the shop and comes with warranties and instant gratification, but building a custom Cruz will prob allow slightly better components and a more drawn out process...more rewarding in the end?

I really don't know which route to go?

Think you should look at how much riding versus decending you want to do with the bike and go from there. i.e. trail or all-mountain ?

The Enduro seems very biased towards going downhill with 160mm of travel, while you can maybe go for 140mm on the Santa Cruz if you want to pedal more.

Also can you get what you want for the 13k ? Or is there really stuff you want to change on the Enduro that make it unsuitable for you if left stock, as a complete bike is (mostly) cheaper.

Think you should look at how much riding versus decending you want to do with the bike and go from there. i.e. trail or all-mountain ?

The Enduro seems very biased towards going downhill with 160mm of travel, while you can maybe go for 140mm on the Santa Cruz if you want to pedal more.

Also can you get what you want for the 13k ? Or is there really stuff you want to change on the Enduro that make it unsuitable for you if left stock, as a complete bike is (mostly) cheaper.

spez enduro = 20k brand new, stock, no need for immediate upgrades.

Cruz = 7k for frame, so about 13k left for build kit

If I want to do longer rides I pick my super cool look996, this bike will be used to ride +-30km max rides, basically playing at the bike park on space junk, zombie birdhouse, and messing about....

What you think?

IMO Heckler would be more suited but can you actually build her up with only R13k and if so would you be happy with the spec?

Buying 2nd hand as opposed to new would also mean no warranties.

R7k for a Heckler frame is a bargain tho and they are great bikes, does it come in a large? :rolleyes:

I'd go for the heckler.... I reckon you can build the bike up for less han 13k, if you're not going to go for xtr/xx or other top top end components.

Fork, you can get for under 5 k

My link

My link

And wheels can be built up for under 3k. Brakes - 2k for good ones - new xt were going for 2,200 at cwc recently, and you can get a set of avid elixir 5's for 1600 at crc (only difference between them and the elixir cr's is the contact adjustment and the tool free reach adjustment - exactly the same internals, and if they can stop me, well then....)

That leaves 3k for odds & ends such as a short cage slx derailleur, casette, shifter and cables. Then the bar, grips and a headset & stem. Tires can be bought for less than 600 if you shop carefully, and then a saddle & pedals are all you need. It mit come in at slightly over the 20k, but seeing as youre doing it over time, you can justify that to the mrs... Plus, you'll have a bike that is built to your specs, amd that you built.

I think that's worth more than buying it off the peg....

I'd go for the heckler.... I reckon you can build the bike up for less han 13k, if you're not going to go for xtr/xx or other top top end components.

Fork, you can get for under 5 k

My link

My link

I think that's worth more than buying it off the peg....

Hallo Mayhem... Was waiting for your comments bud, you make a lot of sense!

I'm also not scared to take advantage of the end of year stock clearance sales, cwc and crc and Evans all want to clear out all the 2011/2010 bits before December.

Whats your take on the Shimano saint cranks, brake and rear mech's - seem nice and on sale at crc ATM.