Helivac Marshals Service...

Helivac Marshals

Hi Guys and Gals,

I just want to put some perspective behind the Helivac Marshals intiative and service. There seem to be alot of confusion going on around who we are, and what we do.

Here goes, please bear with me...

We started a Marshaling group in June 2010, a group of us (5) that previously cycled as well. We were very concerned with the amount of fatalities and injuries sustained by cyclists during events, training rides etc. How can we make this better, how can we improve the situation? Since we all have motorcycles, we thought it best to use it as a tool to keep the guys safe.

We got to know JP van Tonder from Helivac through the Cycling Training group in Alberton. After a brief meeting, JP offered his sponsorship to this small group, we will carry the brand, and Helivac will provide the finances. Thus, the Helivac Marshals were born.

We have used the Training Rides in Alberton South as a training ground, and we still do. Since June 2010 we have grown in numbers and also established our own Section 21 organization with a board of directors comprising of the Marshals themselves.

We have a recruitment policy in place to ensure we only accept the best Motorcyclists out there, the guys with the correct attitude and motivation. You will not believe it, but 90% of all our Marshals used to cycle in the past, some still do.

Every trainee marshal has to undergo a strict training program, only after the candidate has displayed that he/she has mastered the required standard, he/she is accepted as an Helivac Marshal. Pointsman and First Aid training forms part of the syllibi.

We do not receive millions of bucks each month, so sometimes we rely on donations, or the earnings from events to further the growth of the Helivac Marshals. We have also recently started a safety campaign for cyclists to ensure motorists and cyclists alike can Share the Road.

The whole intitiative of the Helivac Marshals is based on passion, not only for the sport, but also for the Safety of the cyclists on the Road.

due to the Marshals understanding of the sport, the high standard of training, and the proffessionalism, we can be a huge benefit to any event. We do not seek financial remuniration to line our pockets, we sometimes render the Services of the Helivac Marshals for free.

Next time you see a Helivac Marshal standing in an intersection, or riding next to you in the race, or at the start/finish, come say howzit. We always appreciate the feedback and we are also very thankfull for the compliments. We carry some stickers with us, show your appreciation by asking for one and sticking it up for all to see.

I salute all of you,

With respect.

Jasper

Head Marshal and Chairman

Helivac Marshals

jasper@helivacmarshalls.co.za

082 443 9101

web: www.helivacmarshalls.co.za

forum: www.bikemarshal.co.za

Having experienced the amazing service the Helivac marshals provide, all I can say is thanks. Your guys are amazing...

The more marshals the better for us. :thumbup:

Down here in the Western Cape the Think Bike marshals do a great job as well, and I am really grateful for the service they do. :clap:

The more marshals the better for us. :thumbup:

Down here in the Western Cape the Think Bike marshals do a great job as well, and I am really grateful for the service they do. :clap:

Yes, the Think Bike guys also doing a wonderful job. The more we can get the word out there, the better.

The more the merrier. Lots of thanks for the hard work on the roads to you all: I remember that most of you were initially Think Bike Marshals too in the beginning when the Helivac 'route' was being set up. Having multiple outfits does make is easier to cover more events when there is a full calandar.

Cyclist safety at cycling events should be first priority in the minds of the organizers, sometimes this get neglected and the following occur:

- Untrained Foot Marshals in intersections.

- Foot Marshals that do not know the route.

- Foot Marshals that does not have the necessary telephone numbers at hand in case of an emergency.

- Motorcycle Marshals that has no training. No idea how to marshal traffic safely around cyclists.

- Motorcycle Marshals that has no first aid training.

- Motorcycle Marshals that actually endanger the lives of the cyclists, in stead of protecting it.

- Motorcycle Marshals that has no consideration for other road users at the race.

- Motorcycle Marshals without proper communications between them.

I can carry on and on..but bottom line is...

Safety should come first..

Cyclist safety at cycling events should be first priority in the minds of the organizers, sometimes this get neglected and the following occur:

- Untrained Foot Marshals in intersections.

- Foot Marshals that do not know the route.

- Foot Marshals that does not have the necessary telephone numbers at hand in case of an emergency.

- Motorcycle Marshals that has no training. No idea how to marshal traffic safely around cyclists.

- Motorcycle Marshals that has no first aid training.

- Motorcycle Marshals that actually endanger the lives of the cyclists, instead of protecting it.

- Motorcycle Marshals that has no consideration for other road users at the race.

- Motorcycle Marshals without proper communications between them.

I can carry on and on..but bottom line is...

Safety should come first..

Absolutely! We just went from Raving very positively about road, race and training ride safety to well, Ranting.

Keep it safe out there people. Share the road!