Shimano Alfine

Nimby

Hi - did a search but couldn't find too much info.

Does anyone have any experience of running a Shimano (8 or 11spd) Alfine hub on a mtb - more specifically a 29er. It sounds like an interesting low-maintenance hardtail solution that would save my (old and tired) legs from the rigours of a single-speed.

Cheers

Haven't had one myself, but have also done the research.

Weight seems to be the biggest issue.

If you aren't worried about a heavy back end then you should be fine.

They seem to stand up to the European muddy conditions.

I have the 8 speed, built into a DT Swiss 520 ( 29er) rim, works very well, very smooth, but it is rather heavy. Good for touring, commuting and general riding, not really for racing.

You can buy mine for R2500 ( complete, built in, as above)

Edited by D Vader

Thanks Citius.

Ja - there is definitely a weight penalty but with a decent wheel build I might be able to mitigate it somewhat. I'm not looking to build a superlight bike - more a tough (possibly steel) hardtail that I can use for general training and possibly some commuting.

I have the 8 speed, built into a DT Swiss 520 ( 29er) rim, works very well, very smooth, but it is rather heavy. Good for touring, commuting and general riding, not really for racing.

You can buy mine for R2500 ( complete, built in, as above)

Hi. Thanks for the offer but I'm not quite at the "Buy" stage yet.

I'm building an 11-speed one into a wheel and bike for a customer right now. You're welcome to come over and have a look at it and kick the tyres.

I've done several Rohloffs but this is the first Alfine. They both weigh a bomb though, even by my standards.

Guest Omega Man

I'm building an 11-speed one into a wheel and bike for a customer right now. You're welcome to come over and have a look at it and kick the tyres.

I've done several Rohloffs but this is the first Alfine. They both weigh a bomb though, even by my standards.

Is there any chance of a 150mm version for a DH bike? Sounds like a good solution to DDS (destroyed deralieur syndrome)

Thanks Johan - I mioght do that - I'll PM you.

Cheers

tim james brought one to the freedom challenge this year (11 speed).

got swapped out for a regular drivetrain in rhodes, teething issues i hear.

• 3 months later...

how much heavier?

obviously the wheel weighs more, but you're losing gears, derailleurs and chainrings/sprockets too

I did the math sometime ago on XT versus Alfine 11 and the differnece was quite low - less than 300g penalty if memory serves...

The problem is that ALL the weight on the Alfine is in the rear hub not spread about like traditional systems.

I eventually decided against it on back up groujds rather than weight.

Alfine 11 is quite an improvment on 8spd. The 11 runs in an oil bath much like Rohloff systems.

Maybe I should relook!

tim james brought one to the freedom challenge this year (11 speed).

got swapped out for a regular drivetrain in rhodes, teething issues i hear.

Was talk before FC but he actually didn't use the Alfine in the end, untried & unnecessary risk at the time. Best to ask him direct now.

• 4 weeks later...

That nude laft hand lever looks quite kewl. Can they .then be run with a triple chainblade up front?

Looking at the piccie on Wumbleteed's link above, do you need a new hub or does the gearbox replace the cassette, or is it not that simple??

Edited by eccentric1

Hi - did a search but couldn't find too much info.

Does anyone have any experience of running a Shimano (8 or 11spd) Alfine hub on a mtb - more specifically a 29er. It sounds like an interesting low-maintenance hardtail solution that would save my (old and tired) legs from the rigours of a single-speed.

Cheers

Hello Nimby,

I raised this topic not so long ago and received essentially the same answers as you.

Despite extensive telephone calls and requests here, I was unable to locate any geared hubs in South Africa (Shimano or Sram).

Rohloff hubs are available (I believe in JHB. somewhere), but at a VERY high price.

If you want an IGH you will have to import (with all the concomitant problems).

It appears that the local South African cycling establishment is far too conservative to use these hubs.

This has been my experience anyway.

:lol: :lol:

It appears that the local South African cycling establishment is far too conservative to use these hubs.

I believe earning and paying in GBP or $ instead of ZAR would go a long way towards alleviating said conservatism.

Edited by XTC1