29er vs. 26 MTB sizing

Jaco-fiets

I am not an expert, but people claimed a size smaller frame actually works better for a 29er.

They said that if you are riding a Large hardtail 19-19.5″ in a 26″ wheeled frame, you must consider a Medium 29er (size: 18″).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

I am 180 cm tall and want to buy my first 29er. What size should be the most aappropriate - Large or Medium?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the geometry, but compare the effective top length (parallel to the ground) and not the actual length

That is such a stupid point of view. Tell them to take a hike.

The wheel size does not affect how the bike fits you. Make sure that the actual measurements of the frame are as close as possible to what you currently ride, assuming you're riding the correct size bike.

Just as a matter of interest, why do you want a 29er?

Must agree with MS,

I rode a large 26" hardtail and am now riding a large 29" Niner.

I would suggest looking at each manufacturer's geometry charts and recommended rider height as a starting point, this is brand specific.

Just as a matter of interest, why do you want a 29er?

Thank you to all in the views regarding bicycle sizing.

My thoughts on going 29er are that it will be better suited for road traveling (e.g. Burger / Cape Argus) and corrugate gravel roads (Karoo vlaktes) than a 26” bicycle. Perhaps its more on road off road versatile. It also appears that theirs a trend towards 29ers. Many bicycle shop owners converting to 29ers.

Unfortunately the bicycle is more expensive.

Edited by Eidref