Lower back ache during rides...

Lamber

So what about people who dont ride bikes and have had back pain "fixed" by improving core strength?

IMO back pain can be helped by adjusting bike fit for your particular physical ability AND ensuring your core and stabilizing muscles are capable of providing the required support (strong enough).

Often back pain arises as result of people trying to do to much i.e. high intensity, to many hills, to low a handle bar position.

I have a long history of back injury and rehabilitation, including spinal fractures. I lived in this "core" world for long enough trying to solve the issue, without success, before learning (from someone far wiser than myself) that it is best to understand limitations imposed by life and carry on with normal everyday activity with MODERATION as the guide. Then the stabilizers you mention can recruit normally and grow with you. But in a bicycle world, proper positioning rests as the cornerstone to growth and progress.

Trust me, boomster, I dont need your advice on anything, least of all some arb universal truth you derive from the interweb.

Broadly speaking, there are two external muscle funtionings involved in this sport: postural musculature functioning - those muscles that centre around the skeleton and which are prioritized by the brain to position our bodies relative to gravity and the world around us, to breathe etc; then there are phasic muscle functionings - muscles that you consciously recruit to perform phasic activities - like cycling. But postural muscles can act phasically and vice-versa. With me so far?

We can also consider it moot that NO-ONE has anything approaching symmetry in their physical/physiological or neural make-up. Nor has anyone the perfect spinal posture required on a bike to limit the excessive recruitment of stabilizer musculature to achieve required phasic activity. So we ALL adapt asymmetrically on a bicycle. And asymmetrical adaptation in an endurance phasic activity like cycling has one outcome: overuse or repetitive stress injury.

So be my guest and apply this tautological crap about "once bike setup is sorted" to your argument and go work your core up into a frenzy.

BUT

If bike setup is sorted, as per the cyclist concerned, then there is no need for remedy, is there, boomster? But no doubt you think setup is some destination you can achieve after a visit to someone posing as a fitter. Then work up the core and go race Suzi! Not!

Fit is a process that cannot be instantly gratified with core work I'm afraid. I'd suggest you spend a few more years on the bike, then we can have a chat.

(I know family of yours has the capacity to google - maybe get them to help you with this bit of reductionist logic, but please, no need to write a report).

Oi Suzi!

I popped my first wheelie when you were still a dirty thought- just to sort that out.

Back to the topic: unfortunately all your big and nice words are of no use since nr.1 and 2. already worked for me. You see, it's a lot like debating over a girl's looks. If you say a girl is not pretty, and I say she is, and I have a boner- you have lost your argument. Simple.

Once again- here's a BOOM!

Edited by Lamber

Oi Suzi!

I popped my first wheelie when you were still a dirty thought- just to sort that out.

Back to the topic: unfortunately all your big and nice words are of no use since nr.1 and 2. already worked for me. You see, it's a lot like debating over a girl's looks. If you say a girl is not pretty, and I say she is, and I have a boner- you have lost your argument. Simple.

Once again- here's a BOOM!

(i like that name: BOOMER, think i should change my name! At least you're good for something. big up :thumbup: )

Yes, well a nice grown-up reply.

So, lets review this thread: Boomer (but watch this space) says if you get LBP on a ride its cos you are not fit/strong enough! He knows cos he has popped a wheelie!! But work the core and it fixes. He knows! But that presupposes proper fit. I say if fit is right there is no LBP and hence no remedy required.

Boomer doesn't get this so tells us all what a big d1ck he's got!! Yippee. Now we can call him BONER instead. (See the space?)

And Boner, the internet is only so anonymous. Don't go posting profile pics that show what a pisher you really are.

So I'll say again - go ride some more then we can have a meaningful chat. And to other riders, like myself, who have spinal disabilities or challenges, at least there is refuge in knowing that a good fitter can deal with most of this.

Trust me, boomster, I dont need your advice on anything, least of all some arb universal truth you derive from the interweb.

Broadly speaking, there are two external muscle funtionings involved in this sport: postural musculature functioning - those muscles that centre around the skeleton and which are prioritized by the brain to position our bodies relative to gravity and the world around us, to breathe etc; then there are phasic muscle functionings - muscles that you consciously recruit to perform phasic activities - like cycling. But postural muscles can act phasically and vice-versa. With me so far?

We can also consider it moot that NO-ONE has anything approaching symmetry in their physical/physiological or neural make-up. Nor has anyone the perfect spinal posture required on a bike to limit the excessive recruitment of stabilizer musculature to achieve required phasic activity. So we ALL adapt asymmetrically on a bicycle. And asymmetrical adaptation in an endurance phasic activity like cycling has one outcome: overuse or repetitive stress injury.

Regardless of your reply to the above I am still interested in having a proper bike fitting done, having a look at another aspect of the bike that could help alleviate pain in some way is always worth a look. Who would you reccomend on the East Rand or JHB area ?

So be my guest and apply this tautological crap about "once bike setup is sorted" to your argument and go work your core up into a frenzy.

BUT

If bike setup is sorted, as per the cyclist concerned, then there is no need for remedy, is there, boomster? But no doubt you think setup is some destination you can achieve after a visit to someone posing as a fitter. Then work up the core and go race Suzi! Not!

Fit is a process that cannot be instantly gratified with core work I'm afraid. I'd suggest you spend a few more years on the bike, then we can have a chat.

(I know family of yours has the capacity to google - maybe get them to help you with this bit of reductionist logic, but please, no need to write a report).

A few questions fitter: I assume by the above post that you are a doctor or at least have a medical back ground ? Are you saying that "the core" does not exist or has no relation to back pain or the alleviation thereof ? I am referring to both a cycling and general context, as I suffer equally from back pain on and off the bike, more so offroad than on road for obvious reasons.

As mentioned earlier I have degenerative disc disease and my Neuro surgeon has been very clear that the only solution to my problem and the pain is an intensive 3 month program with a biokineticist to strengthen my core. The only alternative to this a complicated op which will almost certainly mean no more cycling, given my age the surgeon has ruled an op out.

So if the strengthening the core is irrelevant are you saying the surgeon is completely incorrect and should perhaps find another profession ?

Edited by GT1

Yes, well a nice grown-up reply.

So, lets review this thread: Boomer (but watch this space) says if you get LBP on a ride its cos you are not fit/strong enough! He knows cos he has popped a wheelie!! But work the core and it fixes. He knows! But that presupposes proper fit. I say if fit is right there is no LBP and hence no remedy required.

Boomer doesn't get this so tells us all what a big d1ck he's got!! Yippee. Now we can call him BONER instead. (See the space?)

And Boner, the internet is only so anonymous. Don't go posting profile pics that show what a pisher you really are.

So I'll say again - go ride some more then we can have a meaningful chat. And to other riders, like myself, who have spinal disabilities or challenges, at least there is refuge in knowing that a good fitter can deal with most of this.

Well done mr grown-up.

Let's start off by saying that you have contributed nothing to this thread- troll. I on the other hand have identified a problem that a lot of weekend warrior mtbers on thehub experience- and gave a solution that has worked for me and a couple of friends that I have shared it with (GT1, Covie and SwissVan seems to agree).

I feel sorry for you with your dissability/injury/problem and I am very glad that you are the best fitter in the world and sorted out your LBP by correct fitting. I am not a victim of any injury or dissability, i simply got LBP from riding long distances. I have been to 3 "fitters" who, like you, claim fitting the bike is the only sollution. It was not. I tried things my own way, gathered advice here and there- and what do you know- the problem is dissapearing.

So, to sum up your post:

You have sustained an injury. (read one of my posts on this thread- you are already excluded from my generalisation. don't play the victim- no one likes that)

You are the best bike fitter in the world. (great for you. go to the classified section and advertise your services there- don't hi-jack this thread)

You are good at name calling. (join the X-factor judging panel)

You have spotted my profile pic. (i have no intension of remaining anonymous. i have made many friends on theHub and look forward to making much more. I'm here for sharing experiences and knowledge)

I will let you off the hook with another: BOOM!

Edited by Lamber

Well done mr grown-up.

Let's start off by saying that you have contributed nothing to this thread- troll. I on the other hand have identified a problem that a lot of weekend warrior mtbers on thehub experience- and gave a solution that has worked for me and a couple of friends that I have shared it with (GT1, Covie and SwissVan seems to agree).

I feel sorry for you with your dissability/injury/problem and I am very glad that you are the best fitter in the world and sorted out your LBP by correct fitting. I am not a victim of any injury or dissability, i simply got LBP from riding long distances. I have been to 3 "fitters" who, like you, claim fitting the bike is the only sollution. It was not. I tried things my own way, gathered advice here and there- and what do you know- the problem is dissapearing.

So, to sum up your post:

You have sustained an injury. (read one of my posts on this thread- you are already excluded from my generalisation. don't play the victim- no one likes that)

You are the best bike fitter in the world. (great for you. go to the classified section and advertise your services there- don't hi-jack this thread)

You are good at name calling. (join the X-factor judging panel)

You have spotted my profile pic. (i have no intension of remaining anonymous. i have made many friends on theHub and look forward to making much more. I'm here for sharing experiences and knowledge)

I will let you off the hook with another: BOOM!

Sorry here but I have to agree totally with Fitter here. He is far from being a troll on this thread and has actually added some very insightful and usefull information here as he cleary has knowledge where you have been nothing but disrespectful to him and tried t belittle him cause he did not agree with your Core theory of which I dont agree with either.

Grow up and stay off Google cause anyone can cut and paste.