Jacaranda Satellite Classic 2011

the_other_guy

Not a good race personally, but enjoyed the challenge of the 114km route. Hekpoort was less fun than I remember! Despite excellent water points and good marshalling, I am not sure if I would enter this one again.

I was not mad about the start/finish venue though. It lies between two of the main routes to Harties, which is good for neither motorists nor cyclists. I am not sure what the reasons behind moving from the radio observatory were (I remember parking and access being a problem there), but the new venue does not offer much better parking or access and is on a much busier route.

Maybe guys who finished before traffic picked up found the last few km's less unnerving?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wjat bike was he riding? Pinarello Dogma with Bruce kit?

No , Scott CR1 - Green Little Stars kit with rainbow colors

post-15848-0-75681500-1319443836.jpg

What a race . . .

did the 97km , stayed with AM until hekpoort pass where a few guys "broke away" or maybe I just struggled on.

On satellite road (Left turn to sat station) a nice group formed (12 or so)and managed to stay and work with them until the end where a taxi almost run us over (last 2 km stretch) Picked up alot of cyclists on our way back . . .

Hope the 2 okes that crashed at the right turn 11.5 km into the race are okay. I was behind the oke with the white kit. The oke on the left dodged a cone and crashed into the other. Fell on his head(helmet) hope they are okay.

The MTN Qubeka rider who lost both his bottles a few km into the race. RESPECT ! and thank you for helping me up hekpoort and helping our group keeping pace the last 30km .

The oke with the mtb , well done staying with us roadies. I haven't seen your fast cadence for a while . . . sure I saw smoke coming from your crank . . . :thumbup:

Managed a 2h33 and finished with a oke called Carlos ! (thanks for your motivation up that last hill)

Very happy with this time :thumbup:

I was right behind the crash too. Those okes skid along the road for quite a bit! :blink:

Hope you guys weren't hurt to bad.

I was very happy that I could hold on until we got to Hekpoort. Then I was very happy that I somehow had some legs left after Hekpoort. Also VERY happy to be in that group of about 12 riders going towards the satellite station. We were SHUNTING! but then "PFFFT-PFFFT-PFFFT-PFFFT-PFFFT-PFFFT-PFFFT" NOOOOoooo! PUNCTURE!!!! eish.

Limped in for a 2h44.

ouch. that hurt.

will have to do this more often; hekpoort on a bike with roadie-gears must be good for ... something?

I forgot how hard road cycling can be.

• 11 months later...

Does anyone have a Garmin route profile for this? Considering entering...

The Cycle lab entries page has the profile for the 97km route...