• Eneke Llanos
    • Olivier Marceau
    • Jan Frodeno

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Racers reaching the highest point soon, then some downhill, wonder if OomLA can stay in front going down?

Brief course descprition

BIKE: The bike is one big loop that goes up-and-down the lower slopes of the West Maui Mountains more than a dozen times. “First blush of the bike course shows 18.3 miles with more than 3,000 feet of elevation gain,” said Nicholas. “The terrain varies from hard-packed red dirt to new single track peeled out of an abandoned golf course that now rides like high speed grassland cross-country trails. There are major gulch crossings that drop into river beds and head-high vegetation to navigate through. One thing is for certain, to do well riders will need to bring their climbing legs and descending courage.”

RUN: Once on the run competitors will be faced with 6.1 mile course with a whole lot of climbing while they weave along dirt trails, through Oleander forests, and into 60-foot high ironwood evergreens to an unexpected mountain lake at the 650-foot level. Fastest male and female pro, age group, and Maui resident run times will receive a $100 gift certificate from Leilani's On the Beach - island fish and steaks on Kaanapli Beach at Whaler's Village.

“It descends like a slalom course through high green Bermuda grasses and opens up in spots to expose fantastic views of the Pacific,” explains Nicholas. “Obstacles are everywhere, including a technical, steep downhill into a gully where racers will have to jump over and duck under fallen trees, navigate a rocky dry creek, head through thick elephant grass, into a Cook pine nursery, up a short rope-assisted scramble and along a narrow single track trail with switchbacks that drop all the way down to the beach. The final test of skill and endurance is a calf-busting 250-meter white sand beach run and of course, one-last uphill back to the Ritz.”

JimmyRiccitello Jimmy Riccitello

Mile 15 - Michael Weiss in first. Lance in 2nd place 3 seconds back. #22 (not sure who) is in 3rd 43 seconds back. Will update @ Mile 17.

NOTE: 22 = Dan Hugo

Top 4 men out of transition: Weiss, Armstrong, Conrad Stoltz, Dan Hugo charging hard in 4th and Josiah Middaugh in 5th

Men's Run 2: Weiss holding a 2 minute lead over Eneko Llanos, Dan Hugo, Lance Armstrong and Josiah Middaugh all together