Rear Tire Choice

ALLMTB

"Hell! Are you serious? I put on my contis the other day and my LBS did not mention that risk.

Do you think that even with a decent brand it would do the same?"

Mate of mine had one come off. Bike shop put it on for him and even told him it was a "Tubeless Tire". Luckily it was at low speed.

I have seen another post here on the hub when someone came seriously short with a tyre leaving the rim.

Lots of guys have no problem - but I suggest you pump it to 3+ bar and weight less than 70kg - in which case you could lose half your grip.

If its not clay mud, but just normal mud then a X-king works really well, (then again nothing works well in clay mud) oodles of grip on most conditions with the x-king and you can use them front and rear.

ya, i reckon NO tyre will disperse of Van gaalens mud... :lol:

I like the mountainking in front... it's so worn down i drift my front wheel around corners... :D

+1 or a Monorail works well too!

I use Crossmark on the rear of my 26er, and monorail on the front, and am happy with this. On the 29er, for some reason Maxxis don't make the Monorail in 29er Size, so I use Crossmarks front and rear.

Crossmarks are excellent 'all round', but next to useless in thick mud - still my recommendation though.