CPT cycle lanes, under bridge.

Nobody

wish they would direct cycling traffic from that bridge better. it just ends rather abruptly and confusingly. unless i missed sonething.

But good on SAPS for their presence under that bridge. theyve been their for almost a month now. They have a similar mobile unit under at the N1 on and off ramps.

Wonder how long it will last though. njoi it while its there.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wish they would direct cycling traffic from that bridge better. it just ends rather abruptly and confusingly. unless i missed sonething.

No, you are right. The route through the City Council Building area and around to the front of the Station is not marked on its' way to link up with the Fan Walk part of it, going towards the Green Point Stadium. That signage could be improved a lot, but once you know where to go, it is easy enough to get through the City Centre.

so how exactly does one proceed, because I nornally follow the little pink road and hope i dont get terminated before i get to the myciti terminus at the civic center.

Coming from Milnerton, where the cycle path ends under the flyovers, you continue straight on along Old Marine Drive. On the mtb I use the sidewalks on the left or the right. On the tandem, I stick to the street. You pass the Civic Centre on your right and then find the Station building on your left, just before Adderley Street/Heerengracht. There I go on the sidewalk and do a left turn directly in front of the Station, now going towards the mountain. Just before the Strand Street intersection, turn right and cross Adderley Street to go into the pedestrian and cycle path going up Waterkant Street (the Fan Walk). That will take you straight across the City centre and across Buitengracht into Somerset Road where the sidewalk on the right is also the cycle path for a short distance until it widens at the Traffic Department and from there it is a clear run to the Stadium.

(It really sounds terribly convoluted, I know, sorry, hope the map will help)

post-17716-0-76391500-1321811698.jpg

thanks for the convolution :P thats actually the route i take to get to the cycle route. I was wanting to know how to back onto it from where the cycle lane ends coming back into town without riding along the bus route up to the terminus as i do. (i asked at the terminus the first time i rode the CL and the dude told me its ok to ride the pink paving till i get to the CL! )

Guest Frail4Life

I Start @ Traffic Department. Down side Street towards WALTONS under WESTERN BOULAVARD. Exit Foresore traffic lights. Under CONVENTION Centre, parking, Flyover.

Foresore Bergies have BEEN Moved, but Some Have RETURN Further ON. I have Never HAD an Issue With the Foresore Bergs. Maybe its My time of Day that I cycle.

I also Use the N1. Already USED TO Cycling in the Traffic. Traffic IS Only AN Issue @ Intersection. Yip Some Wbnkers Like to See HOW Close they Can Drive to You.

• 7 months later...

Good in the city. Albert road anytime of day is dodgy with taxis cutting in and out chasing fares.

Welldone to the City ... how is PPA jumping on the bandwagon here pointing out the Argus tour was to highlight the need for cycle lanes....

• 2 months later...

I use it daily, sometimes with company, but mostly alone and haven't had any issues. I will not use the N1 because there is already enough bmw, audi and fortunner drivers that tries to kill you. Taxis and busses I can deal with

Personally, I have never used the N1 for cycling as I feel it is too dangerous, and at the risk of starting a fight, I think it is illegal?, definitely from the point where it becomes a freeway (at the Koeberg interchange?).

I personally know of one rider who was mugged as we found him shortly afterwards and assisted him.

Then there is another lady who I know who had an attempted mugging.

All these on the same spot on the bridge adjacent to the N1 where tge fence has been broken for months and the muggers pass through. MyCiti staff also know this its a hot spot and have also said so before.

We are loosing the lanes and the city needs to claim them back before any muggings turn really nasty!

I do need to add the above its from the last mouth and a half.

There are others I know if since tge lanes have been in operation.

I personally know of one rider who was mugged as we found him shortly afterwards and assisted him.

Then there is another lady who I know who had an attempted mugging.

All these on the same spot on the bridge adjacent to the N1 where tge fence has been broken for months and the muggers pass through. MyCiti staff also know this its a hot spot and have also said so before.

We are loosing the lanes and the city needs to claim them back before any muggings turn really nasty!

I'm so sorry to hear of this. When there were issues in the past, someone managed to tweet the mayor and they attended to it promptly. Tweeters, help please.