The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

Hey guys. I went for a ride this am If I gear up its fine but when I hear down to a easier gear thats when it starts slipping.

When you say slipping....is it slipping on the chosen cog or changing up/down to other cogs occasionally?

1)I have seen a chain slip on a cluster where so much gunge had compacted into the gaps between rear cogs that the chain could not seat properly onto the cogs.

2)Bent hanger/derailler always a problem. Difficult to straighten it accurately on the bike. Remove, straighten on workbench, refit....or replace with a new one. If hanger was bent then check the frame wasn't damaged at the same time.

3)Worn RD? When there is free play in the pivots of RD it will not shift reliably in both directions

Edited by JXV

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only when I change down and once I apply a bit of pressure on the chain it slips one or two gears down by itself. There is no gunge between the cogs at all.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I should know the answer to this and I thought I did, but apparently I don't so here goes:

I run XTR 10speed chain and casette, paired from new - around 2300km on the set. Kept clean and lubed often, no grinding paste left on chain post excessively dirty/muddy rides.

I was under the impression that if I change my chain before it deteriorates completeley (before or on 0.75% measured with parktool chaintool), that I could run a new chain on the casette - and thus almost double the life of the casette.

I bought a new XTR chain and droppped it on last night - no-go as fasr as I can tell, gears are not shifting up or down properly, noisy, and generally just does not feel like it pairs up properly.

I've checked - new casette and it works again, but I'd love to not have to fit a new casette now.

Do I accept that it's time for new casette also, or do I change cables etc, and hope for the best with the 2300km old casette and new chain?

Otherwise I may as well go back to the old chain/casette combo and ride them into the ground, as I wasnt experiencing major shifting issues.

What's optimal wear to change chains?  And at what km's do you guys bin parts?

Shotto!

Hey guys,

I should know the answer to this and I thought I did, but apparently I don't so here goes:

I run XTR 10speed chain and casette, paired from new - around 2300km on the set. Kept clean and lubed often, no grinding paste left on chain post excessively dirty/muddy rides.

I was under the impression that if I change my chain before it deteriorates completeley (before or on 0.75% measured with parktool chaintool), that I could run a new chain on the casette - and thus almost double the life of the casette.

I bought a new XTR chain and droppped it on last night - no-go as fasr as I can tell, gears are not shifting up or down properly, noisy, and generally just does not feel like it pairs up properly.

I've checked - new casette and it works again, but I'd love to not have to fit a new casette now.

Do I accept that it's time for new casette also, or do I change cables etc, and hope for the best with the 2300km old casette and new chain?

Otherwise I may as well go back to the old chain/casette combo and ride them into the ground, as I wasnt experiencing major shifting issues.

What's optimal wear to change chains?  And at what km's do you guys bin parts?

Shotto!

My 10c

I run XT 3 x 9

1 casette and 3 chains = around 3,000km.

Also use the Park Tool chain guage. I do chainge my chain before the guage tells me so. (That is important)

1 x Dullstroom and 1 x Sabie races do have an influence. (Muddy affairs)

I'm now on my 3rd chain with > 3,000km and it is time to replace casette,chain and possibly my middle chain ring.

Its only when I change down and once I apply a bit of pressure on the chain it slips one or two gears down by itself. There is no gunge between the cogs at all.

Check your derailer pulleys. Excessive wear on your pulleys could influence shifting

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Frail4Life

Yes i have read the whole thread.

My question is what is an average mileage for a Chain or Gear and Chain?

That comment of around 3000 seems a bit low.

• 2 months later...

Quick question regarding cassettes.

When I purchased my first road bike last year I didn't really look too much into different cassette options, but long story short the bike I got came with a Shimano 10-speed 12-30t cassette. 

This was great for me, as when I bought the bike I had only been cycling a few months and my fitness was exceptional low, so the small gears helped me get up hills and let me spin when I was tired. However, 9 months later I am a lot fitter and consistently doing over 150/200km a week and I find that I am now using the 30t just because it is there and I feel it may be hampering me improve. I also feel that I am "missing" a gear or two in the middle of the cassette.

I have looked into options and it seems that my only real options are an 11-25t or 12-27t. I'm a little scared of going to a 25, as I may struggle and not enjoy it, but investing in a new cassette is not something I want to do regularly, so wonder if the 27t would be too easy after a while.

Any advice would be great! 

Thanks.

I'm sure the 'techno' okes will be here to comment in a bit but if you're strapped for cash you don't HAVE to buy XTR smile.png

Agreed Xt with KMC chain and you'll for sorted for many Km's.

Good day Everyone !

I also need some advice on this issue ? I also have to put a new cassette on my Road Bike with full Ultegra 10 Speed

1) Do I have to use Ultegra or can I only replace cassette and Chain with Shimano 105 ?

2) What is your Opinion switching to a Compact crankset like 50 - 34 is it better or worse , I am staying in George Garden Route with a lot of Hilly roads ?

• 3 weeks later...

HI All 

hope someone can clear this up for me .

I currently run a sram xo shifter with a triple crank set, is it possible and or worth putting a double blade crank on and still using the same shifter ? 

HI All 

hope someone can clear this up for me .

I currently run a sram xo shifter with a triple crank set, is it possible and or worth putting a double blade crank on and still using the same shifter ? 

throw them off 1 x