The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you say i can still use it?

'Recommended' is 0.5. Up to 0.75 is safe. Over 0.75 and you are caked...

So you'll be safe to replace it at 0.5; I personally replace at 0.75

'Recommended' is 0.5. Up to 0.75 is safe. Over 0.75 and you are caked...

Edited by Theunissa

'Recommended' is 0.5. Up to 0.75 is safe. Over 0.75 and you are caked..

Ok at 250 a chain i prefer safe . Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Need to replace my chain.

Running 1 x 10 on my bike. Any recommendations for a new chain?

Also, need some new lube to go with the chain. I don't like Squirt at all.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm currently running Sram Rival 11 speed compact 50/34 chain set with 11-28 cassette.

I want to swap my cassette for an 11-32. If I do this, would I need to replace my rear derailleur as well as well as my chain?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi All

Busy setting up a 1 x 11 drivetrain and have a question about chain length.

Have looked on the interweb and there are numerous theories around... some say work out shortest possible chain around largest cog and front chainring, and add two links, some say add four links (when its a 1x vs 2x or 3x), some say include master link in this calculation, some say not to.

The shimano tech doc says +2 but there are reports that this results in a chain that is short and has the RD running horizontal in the granny ring....

So what is the correct answer?

My bike is  a hardtail

My chain is a shimano XTR chain if that matters... and I am using a 42t xt cassette and xt 11sp derailleur...

Sorry is this is a repeat question, I don't have the energy to trawl through the feed to check if this has been answered before. 

Thanks in advance for any wisdom... 

Need to replace my chain.

Running 1 x 10 on my bike. Any recommendations for a new chain?

Also, need some new lube to go with the chain. I don't like Squirt at all.

Thanks.

I cant comment on brand of chain - let's see what the more experienced riders say

I use SMOOVE chain lube (red bottle).  Was recommended by Marks Workshop, and also sells out FAST at Chris Willemse Cycles.

Hi guys. I'm currently running Sram Rival 11 speed compact 50/34 chain set with 11-28 cassette.

I want to swap my cassette for an 11-32. If I do this, would I need to replace my rear derailleur as well as well as my chain?

Thanks

It should not be an issue.  Most bike shops will fit the cassette for you, if you buy it there.

The check the derailure setup, and may give a turn or two to the "B-screw" on the derailure.  and you are on your way.

the chain must be very tight on the 28 to be wrong with the 32.  But they can show you when they fit it.

Hi All

Busy setting up a 1 x 11 drivetrain and have a question about chain length.

Have looked on the interweb and there are numerous theories around... some say work out shortest possible chain around largest cog and front chainring, and add two links, some say add four links (when its a 1x vs 2x or 3x), some say include master link in this calculation, some say not to.

The shimano tech doc says +2 but there are reports that this results in a chain that is short and has the RD running horizontal in the granny ring....

So what is the correct answer?

My bike is  a hardtail

My chain is a shimano XTR chain if that matters... and I am using a 42t xt cassette and xt 11sp derailleur...

Sorry is this is a repeat question, I don't have the energy to trawl through the feed to check if this has been answered before. 

Thanks in advance for any wisdom... 

Look at other 1x bikes ... on the small cogg the derailure does run horizontal .... seems this just how it works.  Agreed, it does look strange though

I cant comment on brand of chain - let's see what the more experienced riders say

I use SMOOVE chain lube (red bottle).  Was recommended by Marks Workshop, and also sells out FAST at Chris Willemse Cycles.

I went for the original chain that was on my bike (Shimano HG54). And for lube, I got Finish Line Wet.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

currently i am riding a 26er, 3x9 setup cranks 170mm, i would like to change to 1 x 11, or maybe 2 x 11.

i need some advice on if it will be a waste trying to do so, or should i rather keep setup as is and later on get a 29er with the setup i want? 

the biggest issue around it is that i have a dual susp and i don't seem to find 170mm crank on 1x or 2x setup. 175mm cranks would probably be to long for the clearance on the 26er.

any input/advice will be very helpfull.

regards

Buy a steel cassette, cheap / mid range chain - ride it till it starts skipping in small cog, replace. 

Weight penalty - a mouthful or two of water?  Less than a good dump.

Time between changes?  Long.  

Cash savings? Lots.

Thanks

No offence but do you like at the foot of Mount Ventoux that you would need a 32 on a compact?

• 5 weeks later...

I read in a book by zinn that you shouldn't use wax lube on your chain, it doesn't penetrate and causes your chain to run dry which increases wear. Other sources say that you should use dry lube because it doesn't atract dust as much thus your chain last longer. Now my question is which is better for mountain biking?

• 9 months later...

So on Saturday while riding at Conties, going up the switchback climb to the top, I hear a LOUD pop / gunshot-like sound at the back end of the bike. This happened as I was going over the first wooden bridge crossing the fence by the quarry. I dismounted and had a quick squiz, first thinking it might be a spoke that popped, but nothing. I carried on riding. 

Yesterday, I was riding in the Paarl vicinity, and every now and then I heard a popping sound again, and it feels like for about a tenth of a stroke around the pedal stroke, there is no resistance on the crank. Also, I had the chain get pushed forward about 3 times while descending short sections while not pedaling, and once it was pushed up and passed granny into the spokes, again while descending. 

Any ideas?

I am unsure if this is the cassette or rear-hub related?

Bike is stock standard 2017 Camber Comp 29er with about 1200km on the odo.