Suikerbos ride this Saturday 5 November

W@nna-BE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, I am going to sound really really grumpy here as I have to just make this known. Saturday I decided to take the wife for a picnic and a drive through the SBR. At 64, I tend to struggle a bit there, and even though its not the same as a ride through there, a drive can be pleasant too!

Now, we had just come up the very steep 2.5km climb from the reception area, and right at the hairpin bend (approx 200m from the summit) comes 4 cyclists the wrong way and almost into the front of our car. Cheek of it all, they still shouted at us for being in the middle of the road!

This is a one way system, and I have been told on a number of occassions that cyclists must obey the one way system. Failure to do so will result in all cyclists from being allowed to ride there anymore.

Please guys, stick to the rules, ride the correct way and dont spoil it for the rest of us. And to the four I mentioned, learn some manners as you really did make us all look really bad.

Sorry for the negative post

I think we all take that short cut back down the hill to the gate from time to time, esp. if time is running short. I do however take care about traffic coming up, and I like to go there during the week when there are few people anyway.

Hi guys, I am going to sound really really grumpy here as I have to just make this known. Saturday I decided to take the wife for a picnic and a drive through the SBR. At 64, I tend to struggle a bit there, and even though its not the same as a ride through there, a drive can be pleasant too!

Now, we had just come up the very steep 2.5km climb from the reception area, and right at the hairpin bend (approx 200m from the summit) comes 4 cyclists the wrong way and almost into the front of our car. Cheek of it all, they still shouted at us for being in the middle of the road!

This is a one way system, and I have been told on a number of occassions that cyclists must obey the one way system. Failure to do so will result in all cyclists from being allowed to ride there anymore.

Please guys, stick to the rules, ride the correct way and dont spoil it for the rest of us. And to the four I mentioned, learn some manners as you really did make us all look really bad.

Sorry for the negative post

+1 and its this type of behavior that has the parks officials threatening to stop us cycling there.

I think we all take that short cut back down the hill to the gate from time to time, esp. if time is running short. I do however take care about traffic coming up, and I like to go there during the week when there are few people anyway.

I don't understand people that take the short cut! For me the reward for all the climbing is the long descent that take you back to the tee-junction then right to the start. Fast, swooping turns on good tarmac - awesome! Sure there is one little bump but give me 10km of fun downhill over 2.5km of head on suicide anyday :)

Plus the extra 10km only takes 15 mins to do...

I am all for the riding, and I do understand that some people are tired by the end. But rules are rules and you are surely aware of the distance and severity of the ride when you enter at the gate, so to me there is no excuse for 4 really fit looking riders to be taking that short cut, not to mention hurling abuse at us for driving the right way round. Ironically, it was a cyclist that they almost collided with (Me) who is a little more understanding than most road users.

I would be really sad if the day were to come that cyclists were banned from there. The roads are fantastic, and all the other riders we saw and passed were really pleasant.