Nutrition Advice - Complex Carbs & Recovery

SunSo

Hi All,

I've decided to start training for duathlon and am going to be starting with a training program next week. I've only started cycling just over 2 months ago (never done anything on bike since a kid). Been runnning off and on for about 12 months.

At the moment my training routine is as follows (not strictly followed but consistent):

Monday : Rest

Tuesday : 60 min spin class (I focus on hill climbing as I am very weak here)

Wednesday : 8km run (6 - 6:20 km pace)

Thursday : 60 min spin class (hill climbing) + 2km treadmill run

Friday : Rest

Sat or Sunday : 70km cycle (very happy with my improvement, avg 23km/h in just 2 months)

I eat quiet healthly (lots of frest fruit, low GI bread, grilled chicken). I did a calculation online and it turns out that I am getting just about enough calories to sustain my current weight (75kg, 1810cal req.) Currently, the only supplement I am using is PVM Octane and this has only been the lst 2 rides, it def gives me a boost !

I have 2 questions to you all :

1. Should I be increasing my caloric intake with more carbs given the fact that my training routine will be getting more intense and the distances will be increasing ?(have 2 goals before the year is out, complete a 21km run and complete a 100km cycle) If so, any examples of foods I should add ?

2. I was looking at getting a Whey (Evox) protein, some L-Glutamine for after a heavy run or ride for recoery and adding Slow Mag as a daily magnesium/calcium intake. Any thoughts if this is sufficient or any other recommendations ?

Let me know if you need any more info in order to make a recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

2. I was looking at getting a Whey (Evox) protein, some L-Glutamine for after a heavy run or ride for recoery and adding Slow Mag as a daily magnesium/calcium intake. Any thoughts if this is sufficient or any other recommendations ?

Whey (Evox) protein and L-Glutamine is what I always use after a 1.5 hour ride or a 250KM ride, it recovers my body to the max, BUT add a scoop of your PVM to your recovery drink, I do that every day :thumbup:

Remember this MUST BE DONE WITHIN 30 MINUTES AFTER YOUR RIDE/JOG, you have a 1 hour period after a training session to get all the carbs and proteins, etc, that you used back into the body. Your body needs 30mins to take in the things you take in after a ride. Get what I mean? 30mins + 30 mins = 1 hour.

Also with my recovery drink I eat 3 eggs (MUST BE SCRAMBLED) on two slices of low GI bread after EVERY ride longer than 1.5 hours, this must also be done in the 30min time window.

I say scrambled eggs as they are high in protein and FAST TO PREPARE.

Since I started this routine my recovery has been superb! Try it and let me know :thumbup:

Edited by Gr00tbaas

I have 2 questions to you all :

1. Should I be increasing my caloric intake with more carbs given the fact that my training routine will be getting more intense and the distances will be increasing ?(have 2 goals before the year is out, complete a 21km run and complete a 100km cycle) If so, any examples of foods I should add ?

You weigh 75kg's that's 166lbs. The formula I use says that you should aim to ingest half gram of carbohydrate for each pound of body weight during the 30 minutes after you get off the bike.

Meaning that you weigh 166lbs, devide that by 2 and you get = 83grams. You should take in 83 grams of carbs in the 1st 30 minutes after getting of the bike.

Your PROTEIN intake is also very important. The recommended ratio of carbs to proteins is 4 to 1. Take 83g divided by 4 gives you = 20.75grams, so make it 21grams in the 1st 30 mins after a ride. It is said that and average egg has about 7 grams of protein in it, meaning you should eat (7 * 3 = 21) 3 eggs on your 2 slices of low GI bread WITHOUT butter or margarine.

You can take in carbs and proteins by drinking a recovery drink or eating, I prefer a balance.

Hope this helps you :thumbup:

Edited by Gr00tbaas

Sterrie Stumpie for me does the thing - i think buying a lot of supplements makes someone very rich and does not add that much value for me.

Gr00tbaas, thanks for the info, I experiemented a bit on this weekends ride.

Took 2 bottles of PVM Octane and 1 GU. Had a Whey protein shake, a banana and a few pieces of biltong.

Sipped on the PVM throughout the ride, took the GU around the 50km mark....this backfired big time, I started to cramp within 15 minutes, ended up cutting the ride short. Guess the combination does not work for me.

Got back to the car and had the Whey Protein shake, banana and biltong.....man, this worked like a charm !!! Within 30 minutes I felt great, legs felt stable, aches and pains were minimal. I will take a banana and few pieces out with on the next ride as I think this work better for me.