Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks

W@nna-BE

i am really worried about getting a puncture on Race day!

Get a cheap wheelset, put the rubino's on them, pack plenty spare tubes, and use them for training.

Put a decent tyre on your race wheels.

One good thing about the rubino's ~ they are nice and soft, so it's quick and easy to get them off and back on the rim when the punctures start.

Shove a slice of puncture protector tape in them...

I have Ultremo's. 4 punctures in 5 rides... (Fixed the tube one night, next punture 100m from the house)

Never gonna wear Shwalbe takkies again!

Edited by Nickzta

Get a cheap wheelset, put the rubino's on them, pack plenty spare tubes, and use them for training.

Put a decent tyre on your race wheels.

One good thing about the rubino's ~ they are nice and soft, so it's quick and easy to get them off and back on the rim when the punctures start.

thanks Falco, what would you recommend for a race tyre?

Vredenstein Forteza or any Vredenstein road tyre for that matter, excellent mileage and no punctures unless they really past worn :thumbup:

I have Ultremo's. 4 punctures in 5 rides... (Fixed the tube one night, next punture 100m from the house)

aaah puncture protection tape - now theres a good idea :)

thanks Falco, what would you recommend for a race tyre?

Can only say what works for me, and that is GP4000S.

Opinions obviously vary, but in my family they are used on 3 different bikes for racing, and there has never been a problem with any of them.

Training is done on Gatorskins, same story, no problems on any of the bikes

whats your opinion on puncture protection tape?

Puncture protection tape????????? Sounds kinky, but most of my girlfriends don't need it.

Jokes aside, don't know anything about it, my puncture protection comes from a good tyre.

Hey Hubbers,

yesterday i took my bike to Linden Cycles to fit my newly acquired wheels (campy Eurus, have a look at the pictures section to see how she looks now :) ) and whilst i was there i enquired about new tyres as the GP 4000 on the wheels were a little worse for wear!

so i came across some red Vittoria Rubino Pro SLicks which were extremely well priced! alot cheaper then the R600 odd for the Gp 4000

whats your opinion on them Vittoria's ??

I found the opposite with the Rubino Pros. They are a long lasting tyre which are meant more for training when compared to the GP4000 and GP4000S which are more racing tyres. I rode two sets of the tyres with no punctures and they lasted ages. If you can get your hands on them or even the Conti GP that would be a well priced tyre.

If however you really want some GP4000S tyres I can offer them to you for R900 a set including shipping.

I guess the puncture protection tape refers to tyre liners ? In which case I have to say that it is a long term bad idea for use with road tyres. Rather get a tyre that has good puncture resistance such as Gatorskins. Tyre liners cause their own punctures eventually by chafing friction lines into the tube along the liners edges. Tubes normally shift around on the inside of the tyre casing when riding, and with the liner between the tube and tyre it creates problems.

Where they all in the same place?

Come guys, you can't just whack a tyre based on some bad luck or bad tyre changing habits. Today's tyres are all pretty much the same when it comes to puncture protection. You can puncture a gatorskin just as many times. It comes down to keeping your eyes on the road to avoid glass and other objects, making sure your tyre pressure is correct and following the proper procedure for changing a flat out. Generally if you follow that you must be really really unlucky to flat on any tyre. It is rather difficult to actually press an object through a 3mm thick piece of rubber whether it has kevlar or not.

could i just use tyre liners/puncture protection tape for the 94.7 race , my puncture worries are mainly for the race.......

I found the opposite with the Rubino Pros. They are a long lasting tyre which are meant more for training when compared to the GP4000 and GP4000S which are more racing tyres. I rode two sets of the tyres with no punctures and they lasted ages. If you can get your hands on them or even the Conti GP that would be a well priced tyre.

If however you really want some GP4000S tyres I can offer them to you for R900 a set including shipping.

hey The_Break!

i have the Vittoria Rubino Pro SLICKS......