Cradle of Humankind Route Safety?

BrandonF1

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the hub, and was wondering if anyone could help with information about the route around the Cradle of Humankind? Is it safe to ride around there early on a Sunday morning? I've read so many stories about hijackings when cycling on the road etc.

Also what route would be the best to go on? Where should we depart from? There are only 3 of us that will be riding and we are looking to do anything from 30km to 60km or more.

Thanks for your help!! :thumbup:

The cradle is generally ok.

Just stick to the main roads frequented by cyclists. Diepsloot is the danger so avoid riding near there.

Cradle is no problem. There are so any people around on a Saturday.

There are so many places to ride from. If you come up Beyers Naude, the easiest to get to is Riverstone Lodge (just before Avianto). Very bike friendly, seem to be putting a lot more effort into the breakfasts as well.

I agree, no such worries in the Cradle... Just watch out for motorists and the odd angry residents putting tacks in the road... (only before the 94.7)

Generally I leave from Stone Cradle... so no travelling on Hendrik Potgieter or Beyers...

The route is quite well looked after and there are a lot of cyclists on the road this time of year!!

Edited by Cycleshark

There are alot of places like :

Something country

Riverstone lodge / Stone Cradle (Something like that)

Velverde Country hotel

Toadbury hall

to park and have a nice breakfast after your ride.

It can get busy in the cradle on a Saturday & Sundy morning especially now close to the 94,7

good training loop !

and welcome to the hub !

Edited by Prozac

Thanks everyone!! I'm feeling better about riding around there now :D

It looks like a nice route to do!

Funny . . . I find it harder when I go anti-clockwise around . . . :blink:

Funny . . . I find it harder when I go anti-clockwise around . . . :blink:

re-phrase . . . I find it more difficult . . .

re-phrase . . . I find it more difficult . . .

Which way around would you suggest? I'm keen to start off with an easier route, as it will be our first time riding through the Cradle!

Which way around would you suggest? I'm keen to start off with an easier route, as it will be our first time riding through the Cradle!

Hi BrandonF1 - doesn't matter what way round. (Total accent is the same)

Depend where you park . . .

If you park at Toadbury - both ways uphill on your start.

If you park at Something country (They have a good breakfast) or stone cradle and you go out west - its fairly flat for the first 1-2 km and at kloofzight circle both ways with downhills. By that time your legs should be warm-ish.

When do you want to go out that way ? I can meet you thursday morning 5h30 - 5h45 am ? (I live close by - PM should you be interested)

have fun !

Hi BrandonF1 - doesn't matter what way round. (Total accent is the same)

Depend where you park . . .

If you park at Toadbury - both ways uphill on your start.

If you park at Something country (They have a good breakfast) or stone cradle and you go out west - its fairly flat for the first 1-2 km and at kloofzight circle both ways with downhills. By that time your legs should be warm-ish.

When do you want to go out that way ? I can meet you thursday morning 5h30 - 5h45 am ? (I live close by - PM should you be interested)

have fun !

Awesome! Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

We were looking at going out there on Sunday morning from 6am onwards, as we work in Sandton during the week, and traffic is a nightmare to get back into Sandton!

Looking forward to riding around there on Sunday though :clap:

Awesome! Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

We were looking at going out there on Sunday morning from 6am onwards, as we work in Sandton during the week, and traffic is a nightmare to get back into Sandton!

Looking forward to riding around there on Sunday though :clap:

I will be there Sunday aswell doing 3 loops. Have fun !

I think your main challenge might be the potentially hostile motorists. Keep left and behave on the route and I'm sure they will.